1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

handwriting KS1 and EY

Discussion in 'Primary' started by comenius, Mar 4, 2012.

1. comenius

comenius New commenter

I was hoping you could share how you approach handwriting! Since our EY became child initiated letter formation has become noticably poorer (where as independence and creativity in writing has become so much better). In year 1 we are finding children have got into the habit of forming letters in the most bizarre ways and it's really hard to correct them as they are so used to doing it incorrectly. This is having a knock on effect in year 2 too.
    We are trying to get a balance. Do you start letter formation in reception or leave it to year 1? If you do it in reception how and how often?
    How often do you teach handwriting in year 1 and year 2?
    Thanks

2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Not everything has to be Child Initiated in Reception. I teach correct formation as we do Letters and Sounds with constant reinforcement. I also correct letter formation in children's adult directed writing and sometimes their child initiated writing especially their names. I also have a range of activitiesat all times for improving their finger and hand strength and pencil grip.

I think it is important to form letters correctly from the beginning as bad habits are very hard to get rid of.

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We teach correct letter formation every day as part of the phonics session in reception.
    As each new sound is introduced the children are taught how to form the letter/letters that represent it.They repeat the formation instructions as they write each letter first in the air then on the table with the index finger of their writing hand (until the tip becomes warm) then on the page of their book to cool the finger down and finally they write it in their book on lines with a pencil.
    Curly caterpillar family
    Anticlockwise movements
    c round
    o round, round and join
    a round, up, down and flick
    d round, up, up, down, down and flick
    g round, up, down, down and round
    q round, up, down, down and tick
    s round and round the other way
    f round, down, down and round - across
    e across and round
    one armed robot family
    down, up and over movements
    r down, up and over a bit
    n down, up, over, down and flick
    m down, up, over and down, up, over, down and flick
    h down, down, up a bit, over, down and flick
    b down, down, up a bit, over and round
    p down, down, up, up, over and round
    k down, down, up a bit, over, round, out and flick
    long ladder family
    mainly down and round movements
    l down, down and flick
    i down and flick - dot
    t down and flick - across
    j down, down and round - dot
    u down, round, up, down and flick
    y down, round, up, down, down and round
    zig zag monster
    diagonal movements
    v down, up
    w down, up, down, up
    x down, stop - down, stop
    z across, down, across
    for joined writing we add a "whoosh" to the beginning
    Y1 and 2 have daily handwriting in handwriting books Y2 using cursive script (only takes 10 mins a day)

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Also like the 'Jedi writing' on the abcdoes site. Forming the letters with an imaginary light sabre or magic wand using whole body movements helps to establish the direction e.g. an anti-clockwise 'a', and where to start and finish.

5. Msz

We use Jedi Writing with small groups and we also Buzz Lightyear letter formation also an idea from Alistair.

6. Id be very worried if letter formation wasn't being taught in reception! Surely phonics, letter formation and basic number knowledge should be the main crux of what goes on during F2?

7. comenius

comenius New commenter

Thanks for all your replies. I agree completely that letter formation should start in reception.
    I love the Jedi writing and Buzz Lightyear 'laser gloves'! I'm going to give both a try.
    We do 10 minutes daily practice in year 1 and year 2 but are finding it very hard to break the bad habits. As soon as they are left to write independently the incorrect formation returns.
    I have some who form an 'e' starting at the bottom going up into 'c' shape, then up over the top to make like a back to front 's' and then coming round underneath to finish!

8. Msz

The problem is too many children are left to overwrite the yellow high lighter or follow dots when it comes to letter formation and unless you actually sit and watch and ensure they start in the correct place they can produce something that looks reasonable but it formed completely wrongly. I try to discourage parents from using those writing books with dots

9. Also PLEASE ensure they are holding a pencil correctly. So many children don't.

10. Msz

11. i teach nursery and we teach our children letter formatin (the ones who are ready for it, which is most of them) except we do it with our hands/fingers in sand/glitter/messy tray/whiteboards etc and that seems to work, most of them apply this when attempting to write their name on a piece of paper