1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Handwriting grip - year 6/key stage 2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by AshleighS, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Hi all, I'm an NQT looking for any advice to help older children who find writing physically tiring?? I'm finding a few in my class are struggling with their writing simply because they cannot hold a pencil down on the page for a prolonged period of time.

I've thought about getting thicker pencils/rubber grips to help? From experience has anyone found they make writing for comfortable for children? Could anyone suggest any websites where I could look for some help?

2. Hi all, I'm an NQT looking for any advice to help older children who find writing physically tiring?? I'm finding a few in my class are struggling with their writing simply because they cannot hold a pencil down on the page for a prolonged period of time.

I've thought about getting thicker pencils/rubber grips to help? From experience has anyone found they make writing for comfortable for children? Could anyone suggest any websites where I could look for some help?

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I would ask the Y5 teacher if they had problems last year. Depending on their answer I would look at exercise rather than pencil grips andI would avoid think pencils.
    How many children are you talking about?

4. Thank you for your advice! I have two definite and perhaps another two who I'd like to try something different with to test them whether its just a bit of laziness.
    Could you give me an example of some exercises? :)

5. Msz

Sounds like laziness to be honest I can't imagine that many pupils getting to Y6 with unidentified motor difficulties

The joints of the body need to be stable before the hands can be free to focus on
    specific skilled fine motor tasks.
    Wheelbarrow walking, crab walking, and wall push-ups.
    Toys: Orbiter, silly putty, and monkey bars on the playground

When a certain amount of body stability has developed, the hands and fingers begin
    to work on movements of dexterity and isolation as well as different kinds of grasps.
    Children will develop fine motor skills best when they work on a VERTICAL or near
    vertical surface as much as possible. In particular, the wrist must be in extension.
    (Bent back in the direction of the hand)

Using eye droppers to "pick up" coloured water for colour mixing or
    to make artistic designs on paper.
    Rolling small balls out of tissue paper, then gluing the balls onto
    construction paper to form pictures or designs.
    Turning over cards, coins, checkers, or buttons, without bringing them to
    the edge of the table.
    Picking up objects using large tweezers such as those found in the
    "Bedbugs" game. This can be adapted by picking up Cheerios, small cubes,
    small marshmallows, pennies, etc., in counting games.
    Shaking dice by cupping the hands together, forming an empty air space
    between the palms.
    Using small-sized screwdrivers like those found in an construction set mecano type.

6. Thanks for your advice, it really means a lot that you'd take the time to reply. Ill keep carrying on with handwriting practice and ill give some of the exercises a go with the two who are struggling the most, and crack down on laziness for the others! :)

7. Msz

I have lots of exercises but most are aimed at younger children so may not appeal