1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Handwiting reports

Discussion in 'Independent' started by Ramblinrosie, May 3, 2009.

1. Does anyone else still have to handwrite their reports? We have to write ours with a fountain pen in black ink!

2. Does anyone else still have to handwrite their reports? We have to write ours with a fountain pen in black ink!

3. Don't get me started! You just have.
    The most useful reports I have written, or received, were on a single sheet of folded A3 paper with all subjects covered. Each subject had two or three handwritten lines. No space for the syllabus, no targets, no generic bland space-filling. Just the vital information.
    The advent of computer-written reports has resulted in much paper and ink wasted.
    If a parent wants to know the what topics have been taught they can look in the exercise book. Or ask their child. Any important deficiencies will be included in the report, so there is no need for a separate target. Pupils who are performing very well in all repects certainly don't need a target. Grades are not needed as the report will state how well the pupil is doing. Neither should we be writing long sentences of long words (to fill space) when short ones will do.
    Most of us spend many hours on reports (every term in my case.) That time could be better spent. If parents were given a choice of detailed reports, or decent well-prepared lessons, they would choose the latter.
    And another thing! Why are we writing reports during term-time when we have weeks of holiday? Reports should be timed so that they can be written during holiday time, rather than the second half of a long term when we are approaching exaustion anyway.

4. Use a program to write reports (download free ones if your school doesn't have one - or use Excel to select statements). I would hate to hand write reports. My writing, while legible, is not 'neat' and since I would have to compose the report before anyway, why would I want to write it out again.
    There are a lot of teachers that assume their writing is legible, when it is not. As seen in my own child's books trying to decipher what a teacher has written for them as feed back. And the odd time a pupil has asked my what one of my words is, when I thought it was clear.
    I don't see the problem with using appropriate statement banks to cut down on time, provided you tailor the statements to the class and recognise that many children will require an additional individual sentence or two for their particular circumstances. I set up/modify the statements I use for each class before I write a class set of reports depending on what I feel is necessary for that class/time of year - and may add some as I find the need once I've started. If you think about it, if you compose each report, aren't you using the set of 'statements' you have in your memor, albeit a perhaps larger set than you would put into a program
    I do think that these statements should be the individual teacher's own and not some dept set or even worse school set, so that the same statements come up for art and geography.
    I do agree that there is no need for listing what has been studied, unless it pertains to individual issues.
    I think there should be some report of their achievement (grade/effort) and if you are into these things, targets.
    What I do think is that we do too much reporting, speaking as a teacher and as a parent. One grade a term. One parents' evening a year (after a grade so you have some basis for a discussion) and one report a year - to include that term's grade and in a different term to the parents' evening, to coincide with a time of year when the students need a kick up the .....

5. Oh the agony of spilling tea on such a handwritten report ...and then having to find and apologise to fourteen colleagues, and ask each one nicely to write another report on a clean sheet...
    Seriously though, I miss them in a way. At least the text had to be succinct. You can spend far too much time fleshing out word processed reports. [It all came about when the school bought a batch of really cheap black pens for us, and then discovered the ink was so faint that the reports wouldn't photocopy satisfactorily.]

6. Betty I sympathise! I was so pleased with myself for buying a new "friction pen" that writes like a fountain pen and that you can actually rub out with- the reports actually faded within a year and I had to re-write most of them. Very embarrassing!

7. I agree completely with the time it takes to write reports and indeed to write them accurately and give the parent an insight into their childs education.

I now use www.rapid-report.co.uk, this piece of software allows you to write accurate student reports, it automatically inserts their names and grades from a spreadsheet and comes with free subject comment banks which you can keep on record.

I now have hundreds of detailed sentences and keep up to date assessment records throughout the term and am able to provide parents with accurate reports.</font>

8. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Absolute rubbish in my opinion. There is nothing worse than bland, cut and paste reports that nobody really cares about.
    As a head of lower VIth one of the biggest complaints I get from students is that their reports are all the same. The students compare reports and see the same things written about other students with just a name being changed. Number two on the annoying reports list is teachers writing what the students has done this term and what the student will be doing next term, followed by a line saying some bland phrase such as "could try harder". I want to know how the student is in class, whether or not they interact, what are their strong and weak points not how "ok" they are.
    As for the previous poster, it would be more impressive if it didn't look as if you had just trawled through the forums looking for something related to report writing, revived a dead thread and then obviously pasted from pre-written pseudo-ad.
    Quite sad really.

9. This free software has some neat options to prevent mistakes:
    http://www.schoolreportwriter.com
    Like the others, it manages your statement bank and auto replaces names, she/he, his/hers etc but it also has a nifty function to make drop-down lists for things like achievement levels and task names which you can include them in statements. So you'll end up doing less direct editing resulting in less mistakes. It's free and quick to join-up and works entirely online - nothing to download. Useful for project-work assessments and homework feedback too.

10. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

We do computer based reports, opn our school database, however non core subjects only have 3 lines and core subjects 4 lines, so it's not a huge thing! Far easier than handwriting, as you can go back and edit and spellcheck etc...

11. sah79

sah79 Occasional commenter

We still have to at my school! 2 reports per year are short, a couple of lines only, but once a year it's 1/2 an A4 page per student. It takes me hours and hours and hours - and the ridiculous thing is that I do them all in 'rough' on the computer first! I don't 'get' the parents who don't like computer-typed reports because of copying and pasting - do they really think I'm going to compose half a page of totally different phrases to describe the attitude and progress of the 200 odd kids I teach?!? It's still copying and pasting even if I hand write them.

12. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

What, the website handwrites them for you??