1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hands up?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by lucylollipop, Jan 15, 2012.

1. lucylollipop

lucylollipop New commenter

Hi. I'm new to early years, in a nursery setting, and am enjoying it immensely so far. However, when I take a whole group session for storytelling or to introduce an activity, I ask questions and get 30 children shouting answers at me. I felt a bit odd asking 3yr olds to put hands up and so have gone on to asking/naming individual children.
    Can anyone suggest any good strategies instead of hands up or is this acceptable in eyfs?

2. lucylollipop

Hi. I'm new to early years, in a nursery setting, and am enjoying it immensely so far. However, when I take a whole group session for storytelling or to introduce an activity, I ask questions and get 30 children shouting answers at me. I felt a bit odd asking 3yr olds to put hands up and so have gone on to asking/naming individual children.
    Can anyone suggest any good strategies instead of hands up or is this acceptable in eyfs?

3. Hands up is totally acceptable :)

Most of mine have forgotten since christmas and I have to start Every, and yes I mean every sentence with "Pu your hand up if..."
    But it does work and consistency is key :)

4. Hi I am in FS2 I use hands up but to avoid the children shouting out I use hands up and catch ur answer, where the children cup their spare hand around their mouth to avoid the answer jumping out!!! Another fair way of choosing children to answer is the lollipop system, write all your childrens names on a lollipop stick- I usuallly colour code the opposite end (the end sticking out) in ability group so you can differentiate the question!! u then pull the lollipop sticks out of a cup/container at random- or not so random :) hope this helps :)

5. I do "hands up" in Reception (although generally...i have a few children who are terrible and just can't resist the urge to also call out...i might give the "catch your answer" thing a try!!) I also do lolly sticks- i have green, red and yellow ones so I can colour code by ability)

6. Oh I love the 'catch an answer' strategy. I'm so going to try that out. I use hands up in my nursery class. I think it gets them in to the habit as this is what is expected higher up the school. Some children do just have the urge to blurt an answer out and often they're great answers but I have to be firm and consistent with it and after a memory blip after Christmas, they're all back in the hand up habit.

7. I love the catch your answer strategy will give it a try tomorrow. I pick up a good idea everytime I visit this site.Thanks.[​IMG]

8. lucylollipop

Thank you all so much. Now I don't feel as much as an old fogey from KS2! Thank goodness tomorrow I can use hands up guilt free. Am definitely going to use the 'catch the answer' - what a fab idea.
    Thanks again. Lucy x

9. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

I'm interested in why you're working with groups of 30. I know in years gone by when the ratio was 1:15, if two groups came together you'd have 30 but now ratios are 1:13 (nursery class or school) I wouldn't have thought you'd have more than 26 children at any one time. Just curious.

10. lizzii_2008

lizzii_2008 New commenter

We have hands up in Nursery and before Christmas they were great at it and I still have around 8 that are wonderful and always put their hand up for EVERY question.
    I think I will definitely try the catch and answer strategy because they just can't help themselves!