1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hands up who's unemployed come September?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by year1109, Jul 4, 2020.

1. year1109

year1109 New commenter

I am unemployed come 16th July and I haven't secured another teaching post. Is anyone in the same position? If so, what are you doing?

2. LaurensMum

LaurensMum New commenter

I am unemployed now. I’m 48 and the only one of my cohort - they were all in their 20s - not to get a job. I’ve applied to over 20 jobs and got nothing. Am now looking at other types of jobs as think it’s unlikely anyone will employ me approaching 50.

3. Mad max

Mad max New commenter

Yes I am afraid that age and cost does play a huge factor in recruitment although I'm sure some on here would disagree. I too am in my mid late 40's and have been teaching nearly 20 years. I have applied for many jobs and during interview have always gone to the younger and cheaper. I would say keep trying, but be prepared to apply for other jobs outside teaching too. Unfortunately if you have passed PGCE and NQT year, with good performance reviews, age and experience will be a huge glass ceiling. Most of our age unfortunately will find it near impossible to break through

4. g_jackson_esl

g_jackson_esl New commenter

I'm mid 30s and haven't got a position yet. I've also passed the 20 applications mark and will probably not hit 30 because there are so few positions.

I raised this as likely on an earlier thread; the coronavirus crisis seems to have basically shut down recruitment for many, many schools - NEU told me recruitment was down to about 50% in my area compared to same period last year. We've ended up in a position with 1000+ schools all with individual budgets holding out to see what happens rather than adding an NQT salary on to the books, when they might not get the benefit of training and shaping them to the needs of the school. The utter mess that is the DfE on re-opening doesn't help at all. My guess is this will turn into another layer of the crisis, with a large number of trainees from this year not getting a post, not developing and still needing NQT support next year. Really the NEU should be on this and campaigning for central govt funding to subsidise recruitment of NQTs so that sufficient trainees are in the pipeline for summer 2021 and 2022 - or at least they don't drop out of teaching altogether.

The advice coming from the careers service at my course provider is a) make speculative applications to placement schools, b) wait and see what January brings.

Both of those strike me as wishful thinking.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    MathMan1 likes this.
  5. Carltoz

Carltoz New commenter

Hey older teachers, don't give up. I'm 56 and just got my NQT position. I reckon a lot of schools will come into the market quite late once they have an idea how September will pan out.

I had just started investigating supply options when I got the position. This might be the way to go for a year.

6. mem_com

mem_com New commenter

Hi all

I graduated in June 2019 as an NQT (at 43 years of age) I was the only one in my SCITT not to get a job, I put it down to experience as I have never worked in a school and most of my cohort where either TA's or have worked in education abroad.

I signed up for supply work - the work was non-existent until October, then came in spits and spats until February, when I was lucky enough to get a fixed term placement - two days per week, which was in a really good, supportive school but then covid-19 happened and all worked stopped.

Since then I have applied for over 20 roles and not managed to get passed the short listing stage. With schools closing soon new vacancies are about to become extinct, so I will be continuing with supply.

The most annoying thing for me is that I am constantly hearing education (primary) is short of teachers and that there are 'not enough teachers', the last role I applied for had over 120 applications! So where are all these schools with no teachers?

From the 40, or so, applications I have made I have only had two lesson observations and interviews! From the rest I have asked and never received feedback regarding my application - how can I improve and become a 'first class educator' if I am not given the chance or feedback.

One of my last applications was rejected, at the first stage in less than 20 minutes after sending it by email, on a Sunday evening! No feedback was given when asked.

My moaning is not negative, I see the POSSITIVE, heads of schools (or bussines managers) know the type of person they want: NQT's are cheap but need mentors and more out of class time, the more experienced may help with an upcoming OFSTED, or past inspection - plus they are looking for key words/phrases in a personal statement and at the end of they day just because you manage to write the right things doesn't make you a good/outstanding teacher. I have met some appalling 'experienced' teachers, who hate thier job and everyone in education. Keep being you and you will get a job, it will be the right job and with the right people that want you for you and not the made up version from an application. You, like me, get into teaching for the right reason, don't change that - let it be the thing keeps you going, now and when you get your first role.

MathMan1 and VickyCat like this.
  7. hazellia

hazellia New commenter

I also did my PGCE in my 40s. I was also the only one not to get a job for September. I did a year of supply, which was actually the best thing. I kept applying for jobs, and got one feeling prepared for my NQT year due to the experience supply had given me. Had I not done that year of supply, I would not have done as well as I did in my NQT year. To be honest, the PGCE year and NQT year are both tough years, so a year of supply in between is actually a chance to recharge batteries and get experience in lots of year groups and lots of different kinds of schools. I would recommend supply, not getting disheartened and keeping going. It did take a lot of applications to get a job, but I did better once in one than younger people, because of all the professional experience behind me.

8. Carltoz

Carltoz New commenter

One thing I did do, which whilst too late for this year but future readers might find useful, was start applying to jobs really early. Get in quick. I did my first interview at the start of February and had already applied to 4 or 5 by then. That way when peak application time happened I had a well grooved personal statement and had had interview practice.