1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hands up those who are raring to go

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Cantwaittogo, May 3, 2020.

1. Cantwaittogo

Cantwaittogo New commenter

Back to school on 1st June? To a workplace where social isolating is an impossibility and the virus is still active?

Not me!

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

At some point schools have to get going again as they are in some other European countries.

There is now quite a bit of evidence that young children generally get this virus asymptomatically and are not transferring it on at any great rate.

We are like young mice covering at the entrance of the hole scared to go out in case the cat reappears.

Time to go

3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

1 year group at a time, classes split into thirds or quarters, students sit still in one place all day including lunchtime, staff move around. I think it could be doable. Whether or not it would be worth it, I am not sure, especially when considering the increase of use of public transport, etc. and the fact that no school equipment could be used, instruments, laptops, science equipment etc

4. Aunt Sally

Aunt Sally New commenter

Me neither........when you have NHS staff writing an open letter to the govt asking that we don't return it makes you wonder. Having had a sister who has been in hospital with COVID-19 I am terrified of putting at any risk.

5. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

And what you describe won't help parents who will need to pick up their kids almost as soon as they've dropped them off, and most of whom will have more than one child who will need to be in school at different times, or even different schools at the same time...
    If things have to do as bitty as you suggest, which I think is highly likely, is the benefit worth all the risks associated with it?

6. Cantwaittogo

That may work in secondary but impossible in primary/early years

7. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

And at what cost to the children's mental health and well-being? Are we really suggesting 5 and 6 year olds could (or should) be expected to do this? How frightening a lot of these social distancing measures will be to them and for what academic gain? There are significant limits to what can be taught to the younger children from a 2 metre distance.

Most of key worker children are year three downwards and we’re spending all day reminding them to keep gaps between each other, one little boy saw his Nursery teacher this week and said ‘I just wish I could give you a hug’.

This really made me think ...

https://www.evidenceforlearning.net/recoverycurriculum/

8. Cantwaittogo

Well you go first and let us know how big the cat's claws are. If it's safe, we'll follow.

jomaimai, KLS749, fluffyowl and 4 others like this.
  9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Schools have been open in Sweden all through this crisis.

10. TheHeadteachersOffice

TheHeadteachersOffice New commenter

It’s time to open up the country and that has to start with schools in my opinion.

There are many ways this could happen safely- split classes in half and have half in each day. Saturday school and reduced holidays could be put in place to make up any time lost.

I don’t expect the teaching unions to co-operate with the government on this, so I suspect the government may have to work with individual heads and MAT CEOs to get schools up and running for June 1st.

BelleDuJour and ajrowing like this.
  11. drvs

drvs Star commenter

12. pair_of_argyles

pair_of_argyles Occasional commenter

I think you'll find it is only primary/middle schools that have remained open, high schools and universities are shut

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    agathamorse likes this.
  13. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I think in primary you would organise it so different families are in on different days (plus an extra room or three for those who have to be in on more days due to keyworker parents).
    In secondary you'd need to redo the timetable, and start with getting year 10 back in. Possibly just year 10. I don't think I want anyone using the second floor classrooms in our local school - just getting to the classroom up a narrow staircase would be difficult to do with social distancing, and there are no hand-washing facilities at the top.

agathamorse likes this.
  14. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I agree we need to reopen at some point.

When schools closed there were fewer around 100 deaths per day on average.
    We are currently at around 500 deaths per day on average.

In a month's time we could be back down to where we were when schools closed, and, if the trend is still downwards, then reopening in a careful and safe way could work.

Denmark's R value has apparently gone from 0.6 to 0.9 since they reopened schools. Some countries are hitting our media as 'reopening schools' but they are only reopening to key worker children, something we have kept throughout.

15. drvs

drvs Star commenter

If the risk is low enough that schools can reopen, it would logically follow that physical distancing measures would also be relaxed enough to facilitate reopening.

Interestingly, the sensationalist propaganda which the government and others have used to scare people into adhering to the lockdown rules is going to make coming out of lockdown much harder than it needs to be.

Not really comparable figures though, the daily death numbers now include those who have died anywhere in the community - before last week it was just those who had died in hospital.

16. Cantwaittogo

*presses ignore button*

17. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I don't disagree, but we can still look to the figures for some idea of where we are at.
    20th March: 36 deaths and schools closed
    23rd March: 74 deaths and lockdown measures announced.
    2nd May: 621 deaths

4350 deaths in care homes, but figures are unreliable
    28000 deaths in total
    So around 10-20% of deaths are in care homes

Taking those off the total figures still gives more than 10 times as many daily deaths now as when schools closed.

However, if the papers are to be believed, and 1st June is the accepted date to start reopening schools more widely, the figures may well have plummeted by then.

Catgirl1964 and letap like this.
  18. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Can you give an example of this "sensationalist propaganda" please?

19. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

We've already worked out that you are @GreenTrees123 - the fake executive head of a non-existent free school - under a new name [and previous to that @CalF123 the fake deputy head of a non-existent free school] ;)

20. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Yes, but I suspect that you've been watching the same news and reading the same articles and have viewed them as informative rather than coercive, so I'll pass on the lengthy debate which would no doubt follow.

ajrowing likes this.