1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hands on activities vs work in books

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MrsTeacherMummy, Sep 15, 2015.

1. MrsTeacherMummy

MrsTeacherMummy New commenter

Hi guys

I'm new to year 1 this year and I have quite a low ability class. Do you think it is acceptable to do lots of hands on activities and take photos as evidence to stick in books as oppose to getting them to complete worksheets?

Eventually I know they should be able to grasp work like my last year 2 class but really struggling to teach the whole class the daily objectives.

Thanks in advance :)

2. Milliemoo13

Milliemoo13 New commenter

I take photos and stick them in my books as evidence of work done and I'm in year 1. It's nice for parents to see to :)

X

3. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

How often are you talking about? I tend to not work in books every lesson anyway.

4. Yes that's great and stickers with quotes of what the children have said/done and the level of support they have had.

5. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

This is absolutely fine for any Year 1 class at the beginning of the year - low ability or high. Little children learn best through hands on activities. In my previous school we did this in Year 1 (moving gradually to more written work as the year went on, but still including photos of hands on activities where we did them) and were graded by OFSTED as "Good".

6. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

I do it sometimes in year 4! Example - after a week working on place value & ordering in maths, we played Top Trumps on the Friday. I took a pic of each group playing and stuck it in. :)

7. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

How often do people work in books?! Sounds like a lot of you do every day.