1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Handling the wait - any advice?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by becksldrt, Jan 4, 2011.

  1. Hi all,
    I think I'm in a similar position to a lot of people, so I'm hoping someone might have some advice for us.

    I went for an interview at the Institute of Education a couple of months ago now, for secondary English. At the time we were told rejections and conditional offers would be made until places were agreed, but they seem to have changed their mind about this and now are waiting to hear about how many places they can offer.

    I understand this, but it makes it quite difficult. I'm anxious that I will be rejected by the Institute, and then my next two universities will be full before I get a chance to be passed on to them.

    Does anyone have any advice on what to do about this? Should I call my second and third choices and ask them what their process is? Or have they got enough to deal with at the moment?
     
  2. Hi all,
    I think I'm in a similar position to a lot of people, so I'm hoping someone might have some advice for us.

    I went for an interview at the Institute of Education a couple of months ago now, for secondary English. At the time we were told rejections and conditional offers would be made until places were agreed, but they seem to have changed their mind about this and now are waiting to hear about how many places they can offer.

    I understand this, but it makes it quite difficult. I'm anxious that I will be rejected by the Institute, and then my next two universities will be full before I get a chance to be passed on to them.

    Does anyone have any advice on what to do about this? Should I call my second and third choices and ask them what their process is? Or have they got enough to deal with at the moment?
     
  3. Until the funding is announced your second and third choices won't be able to fill up their places so I wouldn't worry too much about that side of things. I don't think it would do any harm to ask them what their policy is though, even if just to make yourself feel better.
    Brighton (my first choice) is only holding interviews at the end of this month when they think they will know the number of places, but even then they might not know.
    This year we are all in limbo!
     
  4. I am actually dreaming about it! it's killing me. All in the same boat.

     
  5. Also dreaming about it at this end! As well as lying awake at 3am thinking about pointless lesson plans for a class I don't have on a course I'm not on yet.....
    My application is with MMU (1st choice) and has been for well over a month...doesn't say a lot about their admin capabilities if they're unable to offer an interview/rejection in all that time, even if there was Christmas for a few days in that time! (very little snow here!)
    Am now wondering if - on the assumption that when the letter finally comes, it'll be a rejection as they'd have offered an interview by now if they really wanted to! - its worth just withdrawing my application before my second choice gives away all their places! Does anyone have an opinion? Have tried to ring them but all the lines are engaged, and an autoresponse from the course enquiries email address suggests no one's checked that after Christmas yet. Don't they know we're being tortured here...


     

  6. After a month I contacted my first choice as GTTR recommends. I didn't know which email to use so I emailed two generic ones. I then got two replies within 24 hours, both saying that they hadn't started processing Secondary applications yet and I should hear within a week or so. This was Mid-November.

    I decided to just keep calm as it was still very early in the process and not move onto my second choice. I really want to go to Brighton if I can.

    Around 10 days later I got an email offering me an interview which is now in a couple of weeks time. I'm not panicking (perhaps neively) about other my other choices filling up as no one can confirm places until the numbers have been finalised.

    My advice, this year does not follow the normal application patterns. Sit back and relax as much as possible. Use the time to start preparing for the interviews for when they do come along (which I am sure they will). Don't let the pressue get to you and give up on things too soon.

    Oh and try counting to ten.
     
  7. Hi
    Ive applied to Huddersfield for my PGCE in Media and English, had my interview on 9th December and got told it would be two weeks, but of course that brought me right up to Christmas eve so consequently I still haven't heard a thing.
    Im a little stressed but still hopeful as I was in the first lot to be interviewed and obviously tutors have a longer break at Christmas.
    Just stay positive and i'm sure you will here soon.
    We got told there is such a delay this year due to the issue of finance being so up in the air.
    good luck x
     

Share This Page