1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Handing over to acting headteacher

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by avenka, Jun 20, 2019.

1. avenka

avenka New commenter

Leaving in Jan 2020 for a different type of work. Does anyone have any tips on how best to hand over the reins to my long serving deputy who will be acting headteacher when I leave? Any pitfalls to avoid?

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Making them feel that you assume they will carry on with the brilliant way you have been running the school :) They will want to change things.

nomad, digoryvenn and Pomza like this.
  3. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Make sure they have all the log-ins and passwords!

Flanks, phlogiston, nomad and 2 others like this.
  4. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

...and important phone numbers...

nomad likes this.
  5. abacus1982

abacus1982 Occasional commenter

To add to the important phone numbers just emphasise that if they have an issue whatever it is, pick up the phone and ask for advice whether it's legal, HR, child protection or simply another HT to chat with. I have found this crucial. Stopped me agonising for hours over what to do when there's someone on the phone who knows more than me. This has been especially useful with HR issues.

digoryvenn and nomad like this.
  6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Request the local authority or MAT (whichever applies) to identify an experienced and approachable local HT to act as mentor and supportive professional friend.

When you leave - leave. What happens after you have gone ain't your concern!

phlogiston, digoryvenn and Pomza like this.
  7. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

When you leave - leave. What happens after you have gone ain't your concern!

True .. but just saying - please contact me if you can't remember x y z can e useful too!

digoryvenn and nomad like this.
  8. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

No pitfalls as such- just show them everything you can during the handover / transition process. Every Headteacher will have different leadership styles, so as a long standing experience Deputy Headteacher in that school, they will have ideas on what they want to change- it’s normal. I’m sure you did when you first started in the HT role. The governing body may also have new agendas that they want implementing.

I’m retiring in December 2020, and ideally, my previous Deputy Headteacher was in the line of succession to replace me, however, they have already received their promotion to HT in another school. I promoted one of my AHTs to DHT but with only a year’s experience in that role, they won’t be ready to step up to HT when I leave, so there will no doubt be an external HT appointed, unless, of course, the CoG decides to appoint the current DHT to Acting Head.
    Who knows?