1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Handing notice in...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by LoobyLouLou, Sep 22, 2018.

1. LoobyLouLou

LoobyLouLou New commenter

Is it polite to let HT know you want to leave at xmas this early in the year or would you wait til nearer the time

2. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Established commenter

If you are certain that you will be leaving, that it can generate good will from your head if they are told well in advance (may be useful in generating future references).

If, however, your school leadership is vindictive towards teachers leaving then it would be worth waiting until the end of this half term.

3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Agree with post #2.

Of course if you are looking for another job, your HT will be a referee and he/she will know: it's polite (and important) to tell them before they hear via a reference request from another employer!

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I have let my head know I am looking around, but, due to us being an independent, won't be leaving until Easter at the earliest.
    I think the decent thing is to let the head know as soon as you know for certain or as soon as you start applying.

5. LoobyLouLou

LoobyLouLou New commenter

Thank you so much for your replies!

6. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

Speaking as a HT, if you know you are definitely leaving, I'd really appreciate knowing asap.
    If you are just looking, wait until you find something you want to apply for!

7. johnsmithson

johnsmithson New commenter

If you intend to leave then follow the normal procedure. It's polite and important to let the HT know just in case they are not prepared to advertise.

However, it is their job to sort it out. In other words, leave it to the last minute, you'll not be thanked for it.

BioEm and LoobyLouLou like this.