1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Handing in notice

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by fromanantique, May 1, 2019.

1. fromanantique

fromanantique New commenter

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice. I'm currently teaching at a school in the UK but have accepted a job abroad. Whilst I have accepted the job, I'm yet to sign a contract (Easter holidays meant references took a while to come through). I have informed my head teacher, and head of department that I have accepted the job, but I have not yet formally handed my notice in. Am I doing the right thing by waiting for the contract to come through, before I hand my notice in? It feels like the sensible thing, but I feel a level of guilt toward my current school and leaving them in the lurch.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

2. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

As long as you stick to your current school’s timetable, you’re fine. Double fine since you’re giving unofficial heads up too.

towncryer, blinky333 and 576 like this.
  3. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Don't resign until you have seen and signed a contract with your new school.

4. Bytor

Bytor Occasional commenter

Do as advised above.

I have been in your situation, as have others.

On one occasion, the contract etc didn't match up. Pulled out, but still had UK job.

Subsequently, I got a job in the next recruitment season, and again held out giving notice, but kept Head informed. Gave written notice by the May deadline.

You could gently inform your new school of this deadline and your need for the contract etc to be sent to you in good time. You will need to have sufficient time to check and query the details.

5. frogusmaximus

frogusmaximus New commenter

Not everything is cut and dried.

Had a signed contract, flew out to a Middle eastern country, stayed a week at their expense ready to commence my post and was told the day before . . . there wasn't one. Now the English head treated me very well and explained that she had wanted to split a year group but hadn't been allowed to do that by the board due to falling roll numbers, though i suspect it could also have been a cunning attempt to get me to take the unfilled early years post. I turned that offer down, took a month's salary to cover my inconvenience and shot back to blighty.

towncryer likes this.
  6. London020

London020 New commenter

Currently in the exact same situation ... still waiting for references to go through, 2 weeks till handing in my notice !

7. tb9605

tb9605 Occasional commenter

Depends on the country. In Spain (for example) you don't actually sign your contract until your first day - this is the law. There maybe other countries with similar routines. Try to find out what is standard procedure in the country you are moving too.

Good luck!

8. frogusmaximus

frogusmaximus New commenter

Employment is a cut throat world . . . if they wanted rid of you, they'd stitch you up any which way they could. Understand fully your feelings as teachers are fundamentally good people - I do know a few real chancers who you shouldn't give the time of day too - but unless you will be relying on the head for a reference, don't think twice. If you do depend on that referee, like most of us do, nice dilemma.

9. mas_o_menos

mas_o_menos New commenter

This. I remember when I took my current post, I kept asking for a contract but they couldn't give me one. All I had to go on was a letter with my pay on it. It was a big risk to take especially for my first overseas posting. For whatever reason, the international schools here cannot issue a contract until you are on their soil. All new staff talk of having worried at some point that they would get off the plane and there be no job.

10. 576

576 Established commenter

This isn't bad advice but the nature of international teaching means you will often resign with no job lined up yet, nevermind contract. So financial buffer zones are incredibly important.

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  11. Teachallover

Teachallover Occasional commenter

Too true from 576, in an ideal fluffy world, we would all love to hand in our notice only once we have a new signed contract in our hand. However, depending on your contract, some schools require your resignation as early as November in order to leave legitimately for the next academic year. Failure to do this can incur several costs, not limited to; forfeiting bonuses, visa repayment costs, loss of exit flight, housing allowances...and much more...

This isn't bad advice but the nature of international teaching means you will often resign with no job lined up yet, nevermind contract. So financial buffer zones are incredibly important.[/QUOTE]

12. february31st

february31st Established commenter

At the moment here in Shanghai schools are competing each other in hand to hand combat to hire teachers.

China it seems is not a popular country as the UAE to work. Schools in China believe all they need is a rented name above the door to attract students and staff.

If the managers in a school can not sort out a standard contract and transmit the documents to prospective teachers, what other simple procedures do they forget to complete or regard as unnecessary.

If a full contract can not be completed it can be sent with a ”letter of intent” with the reasons why a contract can not be issued.

Also once I contract has been signed and returned by a teacher why leave the teacher in the dark with no communications for 10weeks.

How a school conducts irs recurtment process shows how the school is managed.

13. claytie

claytie New commenter

Re: Abu Dhabi: I accepted a post at the end of April. Since then, I’ve been asked for loads of paperwork which I sent promptly, and also been asked for and selected my accommodation preferences. I have now received an email from the school which says the ADEK system is ‘open’, an ADEK registration and online form to complete......which asks me to send all the same docs again! It’s from the school government liaison officer, who says don’t stress about it, just send all the same stuff again and the school will review it before sending to ADEK. A bit unnerving, when I’ve already resigned my UK job......!!

14. fromanantique

fromanantique New commenter

Thank you everyone for your advice. I must admit I'm now overwhelming glad I didn't immediately hand in my notice. The delay in getting the contract through appears to be part of a wider school issue, the school have been very forthcoming about explaining why this is, but it now seems less likely that in the circumstances I will take the job. I am so incredibly thankful, that I listened and did not rush to hand my notice in.

sabrinakat likes this.
  15. London020

London020 New commenter

I accepted my UAE job offer at end of April. They have just received references and they are happy with them.

I have no idea what the process is next?!

I haven’t handed in my resignation yet, got another 2 weeks till deadline.

16. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

Now I'm back at work and have 5 mins just thinking about this again - I imagine the first lot of documents were for your school and visa application, the ADEK portal thing is *probably* for the teacher registration/certification thing - we have had to do this too, but obviously a long time after we submitted our documents to the school. I think it's to do with the introduction of teacher licences and teacher licence testing which I was notified to do late last year and then it was cancelled so I have no idea where it stands at present - some people I know have done subject tests, some have done pedagogy tests but apart from being asked to update our details again last month on the ADEK portal I've heard nothing about testing for ages.

I guess the testing thing will start up again next academic year which is why you need to sign up.

claytie likes this.
  17. claytie

claytie New commenter

Thanks for all your advice, much appreciated!

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  18. claytie

claytie New commenter

I am getting quite jittery about the whole ADEK process; I am getting multiple emails from a myriad of HR people who seem to work independently of each other and so have duplicated their requests in some cases. The tone of the new Head of HR is distinctly Right Wing and bossy (two members of the department are leaving, who have dealt with me so far, one a very friendly lady...disconcerting). There is no personal touch at all e.g. a buddy being offered, etc. The two lovely people who interviewed me have melted behind a fog of paperwork and bureaucracy now! One does not feel secure at all....

19. claytie

claytie New commenter

And I haven't signed a contract yet.....

20. markedout

markedout New commenter

You won't sign your UAE labour contract until you arrive. That's standard process. The school should be booking flights and issuing you with a work visa that you will show on entry. It's only May, so you may not have that yet. Schools here generally close to pupils no later than the first week in July, but unlike the UK the admin team will be in school all year round and you can expect the senior leaders to be back at work at least a week before teaching staff.