1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Handing in notice with Supply

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by hh99640, Oct 25, 2018.

1. hh99640

hh99640 New commenter

I finished my PGCE in July.

I’ve been working with a supply company since the beginning of September whilst I’ve been searching for a full time post. On Friday I was advised that I have been appointed to a maternity contract beginning on 29/10.

I have not received any supply jobs after half term and have in fact booked off the whole term as not available. I wrote to the agency to advise that I would no longer be taking bookings as I had secured a job and today received a call stating that I was in breach of contract and they would be strike me from the books and advise their schools accordingly.

I’m really concerned as of course the role I’ve been offered is a temporary role covering maternity leave and I may need to accept supply roles in the future!

Any advice? I don’t want to burn any bridge before I’ve even reached the river!

2. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

If that's the case, the agency is talking garbage. Let the agency advise its schools (precious few if that's how it treats its other cash co_erm teachers). It can tell its schools what it likes, you can just go to the many other billions of agencies out there! Good luck with your new post!

yodaami2, Moony, agathamorse and 5 others like this.
  3. Fluffy_Koala

Fluffy_Koala New commenter

Congratulations on the job!! The only issue I can see them having is if the job was offered by a school that you went to as their supply teacher and the school hired you for the maternity post without going through the supply agency?

4. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

In any case, you may not even need to go back to supply work at the end of your new contract :)

pepper5 likes this.
  5. chrisb2004

chrisb2004 New commenter

This is really odd, what contract have you signed with the supply agency?

I worked with an agency a few years ago who had a scheme where they guarenteed you work every day in exchange for only working with them and being available those days, I think that's very rare though and only if they really like you after you work with them for a while. If you signed up for that then they are probably right to be a bit miffed!

Usually the agencies expect you to be signed up with more than one agency and know you won't always be available, they only remove you from the books if you haven't worked with them for 12 months. They have always been fine with me when I've said "Don't book me for the next few months, I have a long term somewhere with another agency".

If they really are being weird about this, go with another agency, their expections are far from typical.

agathamorse, pepper5, Flanks and 2 others like this.
  6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

If they really did advise schools as they have threatened involve your union immediately as it would very likely be libellous.

I wonder if txt think you are taking a job direct with a school they previously sent you to, to cut them out.

Moony, agathamorse and ATfan like this.
  7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Read your contract with them.
    It will normally say that you can leave a placement with a week's notice and that a school can ask you to leave with instant notice.
    However there is absolutely no onus on you to give notice to any agency on your actual availability.
    This agency is a bunch of pimply carpet selling fools, and if you sift through their emails to you , you'll probably find a couple where they haven't even got your name right.
    Utter nonsense.
    Here's an idea-tell them to get stuffed.

Congratulations on your new job

8. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

As other posters have stated, go back and read through your contract.

It seems pretty harsh to me to have an email threatening to strike you off their books and advise the schools accordingly. They shouldn't really threaten you in that manner. One of the consultants could have picked up a phone and spoken to you about it.

ATfan, agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. princesslegend

princesslegend Occasional commenter

Agencies are full of sh*t.
    They're most likely annoyed that they've missed out on a finders fee.
    I had SO MUCH trouble with one agency. They spoke to one school about me (I decided to go with another agency) and the school dropped THEM for talking so negatively about me. Said they'd behaved in an "unprofessional manner that went against the ethos of the school".

Honestly. Don't worry.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!

ATfan, agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  10. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Sounds like an arsey agency. General rule of thumb is as much notice as possible if you need to leave an active longer term assignment or to stop working completely. If it’s just daily then you just let them know your availability.

I’ve just secured going permanent in the role I was sent to work via the agency i’m with. The school are going to sort out all of the stuff for buying me off of them apwhen we get back after half term. I know the office staff at the agency would be sad to see me go as I have a good rep with them but they’ll also be pleased that i’ve secured a role that works for me.

JohnJCazorla, agathamorse and ATfan like this.