1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

handing in notice to leave?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by grandelf, May 23, 2011.

1. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

Just a quick question.

How do I write a letter to say I am leaving? esp when I dont have another job to go to, just reached the point where enough is enough.

is this enough or does there need to be more to it?

Dear Head

please accept this letter as my resignation from the post of _______________. My final working day will be the 31st August 2011?

regards
    Elfie?

2. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

Just a quick question.

How do I write a letter to say I am leaving? esp when I dont have another job to go to, just reached the point where enough is enough.

is this enough or does there need to be more to it?

Dear Head

please accept this letter as my resignation from the post of _______________. My final working day will be the 31st August 2011?

regards
    Elfie?

3. That would do it, elfster. Just make sure that they get it before 31st May, as that's the cutoff point. Best avoid putting SWALK on the envelope, though.

cyolba, short and sweet :)

4. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

It says everything the Head needs to know. If you add anything further, you might feel like getting stuff off your chest, and the only difference that would make is in being unable to obtain a useful reference in the future.

5. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Yep, that will be fine
    Probably best not to use "My Little Pony" notepaper though.

6. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

My headteacher said she'd accept it by email, so long as it was dated BEFORE 1st June.
    In that case, I think it'd be polite to follow it up with a letter on paper though.

7. modelmaker

You could always frame it to make it awkward to file and send it in a package with those small polystyrene chips that go everywhere if you wanted to make a subtle point.

8. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Urinating your letter of resignation onto the cricket square is also one of those things upon which it is frowned.

9. Yes, your example is fine Elfie. It's all the Head needs to know. (Do not email the info...it's bad form.)
    You may find yourself called to his/her office for a nicy cosy chat as to WHY you want to leave. (This happened to me.) However, you don't have to explain your reasons. If you hate the place, kids, strategies, lack of sanctions, your HOD, colleagues, SMT etc.. (the reasons why most teachers go) best not to say, as you may need references later on.
    It takes courage to say "Enough!" and act on it. Well done Elfie. Life is too short to be stuck in a job you dislike.

10. modelmaker

It's a shame you left it so late in the sowing season. You could have said it with flowers on the cricket square.

11. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

I think short and sweet does the trick - don't forget to add what you really want to say at the bottom and the change the text colour to white - it's very cathartic [​IMG]

12. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

Thanks. Shame the cricket pitch is out, maybe late bloomers on the football pitch? I don't think I'm the type to burn bridges anyway. Let's hope something else crops up so I don't become a great unwashed for to long!

13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I think it's a box they have to tick under 'conduct exit interview'. Mine was conducted with a degree of briskness verging on barely-concealed glee. I imagined the HT punching the air and shouting YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!! shortly after I closed the door behind me. Not that I cared then, or now for that matter.

I disagree about not putting your reasons. You can word your reasons diplomatically and professionally, even if you're going because of a disagreement with those above. You never know, it might serve to make the odd non-comatose governor take note that all is not well in the Kingdom of Denmark.

14. Yes, that is enough.
    You may like to consider adding a line along the lines of "I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the time I have worked here and the experience gained..." just to fob off the inevitable questions about "are you unhappy here?".
    But it is not a must.
    In Germany, there would always be a sentence at the end asking for references and personal documents (I don't know if you need to hand any in) to be sent to the address of your choice or given personally.
    That may not be normal in the UK, I don't know.
    Do make sure you get your references though, even if you have no job to go to (again, I think this may be different - our references are handed to us, and we hand them to future employers).

15. I would not put them in a resignation letter.
    They are things to be mentioned on the exit meeting.

16. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Nowt wrong with us great unwashed!
    I actually smell quite nice and I scrub up okay. [​IMG]

17. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

never said there was owt wrong, I'd just fit in far to easy!

18. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Snap, elfie. Nearly two months on and think I've forgotten how to work. [​IMG]
    You'll be fine. Plenty of opportunities for a bright, dedicated lad like yourself. They will be beating your door down. [​IMG]

19. manashee is a wee liar.
    She smells like a rubbish tip and looks like a bag lady.
    *uses the edit function to quicky say I hope she doesn't set her dog on me. God, that dog is tiny but what a mouthy lass she is*

20. anon468

anon468 New commenter

*holds hands up*
    And causes everyone to faint! [​IMG]
    Edit - she's sleeping. You're lucky!