1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Handing in notice for end of Summer term

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by CBrown, May 18, 2017.

1. CBrown

CBrown New commenter

I have secured a new job
    I intend to hand in my notice next week but have been told by a colleague I will not qualify for pay at the end of August unless I come into work for a few days in September. Obviously I will be at my new job by then and I will have actually worked a whole academic year so surely I should be payed as normal?
    Please advise!

2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

When you resign, you need to state your last day of working, end of term, and your last day, end of august. You then are paiduntil the end of august. Unless this is an academy or private school with a very unusual employment condition your collegue is either talking out of the wrong orifice or extracting the urine. They are wrong.

3. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

How can work done in September have an effect on August pay?
    Wanet is right.

Good luck in your new job. Always an exciting time.

CBrown likes this.
  4. CBrown

CBrown New commenter

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Was the colleague somebody who has any impact on these things? If you are employed under Burgundy Book conditions, or similar, then it is very clear that you finish on 31 August, If not, you will need to look at your contract to see if there is anything odd in it. If in doubt, speak to HR.

Congratulations on the new job. If you have secured it, why wait until next week to hand in your notice?