1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Handing in notice - advice please?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sarahpie, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Sorry this did have paragraphs!

2. sorry you are not enjoying life in school as you had hoped, NQT year is always very pressured and as youve found some schools (although to be fair not just a few) are under huge amounts of pressure. In some schools as youve found this makes life restrictive. However that said id advise against handing in notice for Easter if you could humanly do it id stay till end of NQT year it will make it so much easier to find another post whereas leaving mid year will be very tricky to explain to prospective employers.
    However if you do decide to go i think you are right to be cautious with just what you say in your resignation letter, people always know someone who knows someone and working in education is a very small world. It might be best to say that you have decided to move on and wish the school and staff all the best and thank you for giving you the opportunity. If youre later pressed on why then you can add that you believe different schools are right for different sorts of people and that you didnt feel you really fitted into this school.

3. Sorrim

Sorrim Occasional commenter

I agree with Bluerose. I am very sorry to hear you are having a miserable time and I know how pressured the job can be. I would echo the advice to stay put until you've completed your year -the year will soon be over and if you can keep your head down and just get on with your job, that might be the best plan. However, if you feel you can't, then resist the temptation to write too much in your letter of resignation. It might feel good at the time but you'd come to regret it because you never know what might happen in the future and, as has been stated, everyone in education knows someone else. It's always safest to keep the letter simple and professional.
    Good luck in whatever you choose to do, but have a good long think before you do anything.
    Sorrim x

4. Don't forget that there are specific leaving dates in teaching.
    • to leave at 31 December, give notice by no later than 31 October;
    • <h4 align="left">to leave at 30 April, give notice by no later than 28 February;</h4>
    • <h4 align="left">to leave at 31 August, give notice by no later than 31 May</h4>

5. naomi58

naomi58 New commenter

I agree - stick it out. Try to think positively about the extra bank holidays and that the weather will get better and the days will be longer. The Queen's Jubilee and the Olympics will perk up the curriculum and you can leave in July hopefully with a new job and looking forward to a new academic year in a happier school.

6. Thank you so much for all the replies. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who's ever felt this way (I knew that anyway, but it's always nice to hear again!)

I have hated the job and school since I started, and originally intended to try and stick it out until I had completed the year. Unfortunately it gets worse each time I go back, and I am getting more and more demoralised, unenthusiastic and incredibly unhappy. One of the main reasons I want to get out now is that I have already lost so much of my enthusiasm and passion for the job, I fear that if I stay until summer I won't want to teach again - and I don't want that.

I know people say to get your NQT year out of the way, and I don't know if I'm wrong in the way I see it, but I don't want to see it as something to 'be got out of the way'. I want to see it as a year in which I can learn and develop, yet I am not supported at my school and neither are the other NQTs - another is leaving at the same time as me. So I do still intend to leave. Maybe in years to come I will regret it, but I do know that for my health and happiness it is the right thing for me.

With that in mind, what type of thing do you have to say in your resignation letter? I have only ever left a job to pursue another avenue or move etc, so I've never had to think this hard before about what to put. I'm not sure what I can say that doesn't sound really bad and as I do still want to teach, I don't want to kill my career before it has started!

7. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

I left a school in difficult circumstances. I had told my HT in person that I would be leaving and then wrote a letter with one sentence saying that I was resigning from my post with effect from the date when I was leaving. Keep it simple. Don't put anything negative about the school in your letter.

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Same as the poster above me. Just write something like 'I wish to resign from my post as ....... with effect from the .................2012.'
    If you can manage to bite your lip and mention something along the lines of 'thank you for the support so far this year' it will be in your favour as your HT will need to write you a reference, whether you like it or not.