1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Handing in my notice

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by CMER100, Oct 23, 2016.

1. CMER100

CMER100 New commenter

So I have been offered a new job this morning outside of teaching and need to hand my notice in by 31st October it's currently half term, if I send in a letter does that count?

Thanks

2. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

I'd be inclined to take it by hand and give it in, that way it goes to the correct person. Just make sure you date the letter.

3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I'd send an email to your HT - requesting a read reciept - and (as suggested above) hand in a hard copy letter to your school's office (do both to be sure).

If you have to post I'd do a recorded or registered delivery.

4. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Don't forget to state your last day of teaching and the date you are resigning from -31st Dec.

5. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

good luck in your new career! x

thekillers likes this.
  6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

https://www.tes.com/news/blog/how-resign-get-resignation-letter-right

Email and post. You could send it recorded delivery (now called 'Signed For') but if there is no-one there to sign for it it will be returned to you. Send 2 copies, one Signed For and one ordinary post.

Before you rush down there to hand it in in person

-- Is anyone there over half term? Especially in primaries there might be no-one there

-- Does school have any external mailbox that you can put a letter into? Many don't.

If there is someone there handing over and getting a receipt is the best solution.

Good luck.

7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Letter. Email as back-up. Take it in and get someone to sign for it. Anyone.

ldnsenco, thekillers and wanet like this.
  8. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Good luck in your new job.

9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I would just email your head and be done with it. I assume s/he knows you are applying for posts, so they won't be overly surprised.

If you really feel you need a hard copy letter, then take one with you on the Monday you return to school, which is the 31st so perfectly acceptable.

10. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Do what other posters have said, Hand deliver or get the letter sent by recorded/tracked delivery and then send the HT an emailing request confirmation that they have received it. Don't forget to date it as today's date (or the date you write it) as long as it's before October 31st.
    Also, in your resignation letter, state that your last day of employment will be the 31st December 2016, however your last WORKING day will be the last day of term, XXth December 2016.
    This will ensure that you'll be paid until the end of December and not until the end of term.

11. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If this was my school next week no-one would be there to receive the letter. It would be entirely pointless and a waste of postage money, travel costs.

Assuming the OP is back at work on Monday 31st, taking it with them and handing it in will be more than sufficient.

ldnsenco likes this.
  12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Would the last teacher working in England please turn off the lights on your way out of the classroom.

Abcmsaj, pepper5, ldnsenco and 2 others like this.