1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Handing in my notice

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by craftyangel, Mar 30, 2012.

1. I'm an NQT, due to complete at the end of this academic year.
    I have decided to leave my current school as I haven't been very happy here. I am currently off work with depression.
    If I want to leave at the end of the year, when is the last opportunity I can hand my notice in? I think it's May half term but is that right? Also, If I need more time off after Easter, it will affect my NQT as I will have to complete it in Septmeber (that's if I get a nother job) so will I have to look for a job sutible for NQTs only? (I assume so)
    Thanks for any advice.
    Angel.

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The deadline for handing in your notice to leave your employment on 31st Aug 2012 (don't say you want to leave at the end of term in July or they'll just pay you until then with no holiday pay!) is ... 31st May. That remains the final resignation date even if it falls in the half term break.
    If , by the time you reach the end of term in July, you have been absent from work on 30+ days in your Induction year, the school will not be able to assess your final Induction term. If you stayed on, you'd serve those 30+ days in September and the school would then come to a verdict on your Induction.
    If you have been absent for 29 days or fewer, the LA may accept a verdict on your Induction at the planned finish date if you are meeting the standards at that point.
    If you leave with an incomplete Induction, you will 'bank' 2 Induction terms with the LA and will need to start a final Induction term elsewhere.
    If this is your first qualified teaching post (ie: you did no qualified supply teaching before taking up this Induction post) you still have a supply allowance of 16 months to use if you can't immediately get an Induction post.