1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Handing in forward plans...?

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by piglet171, Aug 27, 2017.

1. piglet171

piglet171 New commenter

At this moment in time, does anyone know what the Scottish teaching unions' position is on handing in forward plans? It was mentioned back in 2013 at a conference that this should not be a requirement.

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Lead commenter

From South of The Border I'd hope that you don't need a union to tell you that you shouldn't do it.

Apart from the consideration that it's a waste of valuable time to produce/check/correct it then what about the planning being affected by progress in the lesson? Doesn't AfL and Differentiation depend on reacting quickly and going off-piste/plan?

You could always ring your union and check but more importantly are you (and other colleagues) going to tell the HT this is a waste of valuable time?

gillian2607 likes this.
  3. Liviboy

Liviboy Occasional commenter

The requirement not to submit plans refers to daily or weekly planning which "should be for the teacher's personal use". Forward plans should not be handed in for 'marking' but to enable a professional dialogue about the progress of learning in class.

Forward planning is by no means a "waste of valuable time" but is a requirement.

However, what does need to be made clear is the design of your forward plan. It should NOT be directive, week-by-week lessons, but rather a summary overview of expected areas to be covered, possibly with reference to benchmarks as well as expected opportunities for formal assessment.

4. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Lead commenter

Apologies @Liviboy I misunderstood the meaning of 'forward'. If it had said medium-term/Long-term then I wouldn't have needed to post at all.

Is the issue over having to submit?
    Week 1 - presenting and interpreting data using pictograms and bar charts
    Week 2 - Averages and range
    Week 3 - ......

5. micgbanks

micgbanks New commenter

Look at the tackling buorocracy report and follow up report from 2013 and 2015. You should not need to be submitting forward plans to HT's

6. sir2006

sir2006 New commenter

I’d like to know what authority people who aren’t handing in such plans are working in. I have yet to work in or meet teachers who do not hand in a forward plan of some description. The issue I have is that in some schools, they are unnecessarily bureaucratic and are little more than a paper exercise. The time required to create your forward plan should be built into your WTA.