1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Handing in a Notice

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by gawain_hyde, Jan 4, 2019.

1. gawain_hyde

gawain_hyde New commenter

Hi guys,
    I was just wondering, if I am employed by a supply agency and am looking and applying for fulltime teaching posts do I need to hand my notice in to the supply agency?
    If so how long should I give them?
    Thanks
    Gawain

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Simple answer - when you've acquired a post. Or more accurately just before you actually start the post - you don't want to miss out on any work beforehand.

Do ensure any job you apply for are applied for using the school 's own advert and quote any Reference numbers in your application referring to where you saw the advert, so agencies can't claim an 'introduction fee. e g
    I have great pleasure in submitting an application for your post of xxxx teacher ref no xxxxxx at XXXXXX School advertised on xxx website /Xxxxx paper / tes etc.

3. greeneyes

greeneyes Occasional commenter

I had a supply post lined up in 2014 and got a permanent post just before I was due to start. I gave the agency 4 days notice.

Look at it this way - schools can cut ties with supply teachers immediately if they like. Works both ways.

4. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Check the contract you have signed but in general you do not have to serve a period of notice with an agency.

If you are doing daily supply there is no problem and you just stop contacting them or accepting work from them.. If you are filling a longer term placement it would be fair to the: school/students/agency to give them maybe a week's notice that you intend to leave allowing them time to ensure a smooth handover to your replacement.