1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Handed in resignation to leave teaching, where do I stand?

Discussion in 'Staff, pupil & parent's wellbeing' started by hannah_troberts, Mar 31, 2020.

1. hannah_troberts

hannah_troberts New commenter

Hello all.

I handed in my resignation to leave the profession at Easter however my new job was in the catering industry who can now not take me on so I have no job. I am currently on sick leave until my new job was supposed to start.

Where do I stand with all this please?

Many thanks

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Unfortunately you have resigned so you finish your teaching role at Easter.You could ask your current school whether it is too late to withdraw your resignation and they MIGHT agree but I can’t honestly see why they would. What have your new employer said about the contract you have with them?

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Sad to say the answer is probably you will be unemployed, searching for other jobs and signing on for benefits.

4. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

Lots of jobs in the supermarkets in the short term,better than being unemployed. We assume somebody has replaced you in your current school.

5. hannah_troberts

hannah_troberts New commenter

6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Who do you want to pursue? The school you've resigned from or the company you were going to join who now can't take you on? I can't see that either of them have done anything wrong although I'm sorry this is going to leave you in a difficult position. You aren't the only person in this position, not that that's much consolation I know.

Have you done what CarrieV suggested in Post #2 and asked if you can withdraw your resignation?

have you spoken to your Union?

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

No.
    Furloughed employees must have been on your PAYE payroll on 28 February 2020
    So your new company can't place you on furlough.

Your school are expecting you to leave at Easter and almost certainly don't have the money to keep you on. And, if you have been on sick leave for some time, they will certainly already be paying someone else to do your job.

It's a terrible situation and I feel for you, but there is little to be done and many people are in the same situation or worse.