1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Handed in resignation due to depression/anxiety.

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by HannahNelson, Oct 18, 2016.

1. HannahNelson

HannahNelson New commenter

Hello,

This is my first post so I apologise if it's too long!

I have handed in my notice to my school and my HT know exactly why (due to depression related to personal life and bereavement and anxiety due to my job).

Obviously with being a teacher this means my notice period is until the 31St December this year. However I am going to the doctors soon to get help as I am struggling at work am awful lot and cannot continue. I am going to ask to be signed off work. How do I approach this with my HT. As it is half term soon and I will not be (hopefully) returning as I plan to be signed off. Do I need to have 7 self prescribed days off first before the sick note?

Also do I inform her that I won't be back after half term? As I want to make sure the children don't lose out too much (reception Class). As if the HT knows now she can sort out long term agency cover until Christmas instead of having it sprung upon her first day back after half term when she is expecting me to be back in school?

Please help. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

X

2. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

I'm not expert, but wanted to reply now. Don't think you can tell her you won't be back after half term until you have your doctor's note signing you off. You've already handed in your notice and the Head knows why, so she will probably think you may not be around after half term, but it is dependent on your GP. If you tell her/him that you have already resigned because you feel you can't go on then you may get a longer term note. When are you going to the GP? You can contact your HT after that. Try not to worry and the most important thing now is to take care of yourself. You can self-certify for a week but go to your GP first asap so you are not worrying about it. If you read in Workplace Dilemmas you will unfortunately read about many similar experiences. Night night.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

Have you used your real name to post? If so, it would be better to change it so you are not identifiable.