1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Handed in notice, starting to panic

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by helen131, Feb 22, 2012.

1. helen131

helen131 New commenter

I started another thread saying I was thinking of resigning as I am not meeting the standards and am unlikely to pass the year. I have finally done it and am leaving this week, however I have no job, no confidence, and am seriously panicking about life. I'm not sure if I want advice or just some friendly words but I need something. I'm only 22 and live with the parents, but I feel like a complete failure, have never not had a job before, and have no idea if it is easy to get a job.

Please calm me down!

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I don't think its possible to calm you down. You're bound to be worried but you know yourself that you've made the right decision so don't forget that when you're feeling down.
    If you've resigned rather than risk failure you can still usually apply for JSA (which you made need in the current job climate) they'll have you fill in a form and you just need to explain how if you'd failed you would have been out of work anyway and they should pay you.
    Whats the plan now, do you still want to teach? xx

3. helen131

helen131 New commenter

I'm applying for TA jobs, I'm going to sign up to a supply agency, and maybe some adult education work. I'm not in the right mind set to start teaching at a new school and have the pressure of passing my induction year. I need to have some time out but keep getting experience in schools and build up my confidence.

Thanks for replying :)

4. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

IMO I'd avoid the Supply Teachers forum for a while. Some people are a bit disheartened and you don't need that at the moment. Good luck and I hope the future brings you something happier x

5. You sound like you are in the same situation as I am! Was at risk of failing so have now handed in my notice for leaving at the Easter holidays.

I'm thinking of doing TA work but worrying about the pay and whether I will be able to afford my rent and bills etc. My confidence is also shot! You will be able to claim job seekers but it's only abround £60 a week.But at least that would be something for a while.

There's also supply agencies which you could sign up for which guarantee you pay even if they don't get you work.

I was thinking of getting a part time TA job for one salary and then sign up to a supply agency letting them know my available days and with the guaranteed pay scheme they will try and get you work for the days you have said you are available and if they cannot find you work that day they will still pay you for a days work which would obviously be another income on top of the TA wage. So effectively you could be paid for 5 days a week over two jobs, TA and supply.

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Jobseekers allowance is £53-45 per week if you are under 25yrs and £67-50 if over 25yrs. Couples get £105-95 per week.
    In addition, if you qualify for Income Based JSA (Means-Tested) you can also claim Housing benefit for your rent and Council TAX RELIEF, plus get free NHS services.
    If you claim JSA after voluntarily giving up your job, they may disallow you from Benefits for up to 26 weeks. You fill in a form stating why you left your job and they decide if a a disallowance is approriate. Initially, you may get a disallowance but should appeal it.
    Use the extra space on the Appeal forms to properly explain the situation for NQTs who fail Induction ( never being able to taech again in State schools) and thus showing that leaving was the only way to salvage a career in teaching. Make it clear that you need a different type of school, perhaps more like your TP schools, to pass Induction.
    Don't slag off the old school on your forms as the details are sometimes passed by the employer (Head) for corroboration. The school will be prepared to agree that you didn't fit with their set-up and were in danger of failing within a term had you not left.
    keep signing on when appealing a disallowance as you will get JSA arrears when you succeed.
    You can still claim Housing benefit and Council TAX RELIEF when disallowed JSA.
    There are fewer of those schemes around nowadays but BEWARE! They guarantee pay because they will almost always find you work and you can't refuse the work. The work will mainly be in very challenging schools that other supply teacher, wanting work but not on the guarantee scheme, will not take!
    If you take TA work, you will not be able to sign on for JSA if your p/t hours amount to 16 or more per week.
    TAs generally can't claim JSA in the holidays either, even though they are only paid for 44 weeks per year becasue their pay is worked out as an annual amount that is then divided into 12 equal monthly payments.
    One or 2 days of TA work per week would not earn enough to be paying NI contributions so you'd probably need to sign on as well even though you wouldn't get any JSA money (or very little to top up pay to benefit levels) .. you'd sign on to get NI credits.

7. I know you can't get JSA when you have another job. I was referring to the fact that the OP said about going on to jobseekers whilst looking for work. The OP lives with their parents so will not be able to get housing benefit or anything like that. Although guaranteed pay schemes may not be the best it's still a way of getting more experience in schools and get some pay, just like being a ta would be great before we feel ready to complete our induction year.

8. Just wanted to wish you good luck OP.

I'm currently doing supply (when it's available, so have only done a little bit) and have actually found it has restored my confidence, after it was well and truly shattered during my second PGCE placement (issues with mentor/uni course leader which I won't bore you all with, just bare in mind the school is now in special measures!)

9. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Try the Samaritans.

Seriously. They have heard it all before, and it's so much better for you and them to be able to talk things through before you fall into depression and the blackness descends.

At 22 and with a teaching qualification, you've almost certainly been successful in pretty much everything you've ever done in life before - no doubt you have a decent set of GCSEs, A levels and some sort of post-grad qualification that got you your QTS.. You can sign other people's passport applications and write university recommendation letters for goodness sake!

So "failure" hits hard, really, really hard

Unlike your mum & dad, the Samaritans have heard it all before. They don't care what time of day or night you call and they won't be judging you.