1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hand Washing!

Discussion in 'Education news' started by mrajlong, Jul 2, 2020.

1. mrajlong

mrajlong Senior commenter

Just been reading through the guidance for opening in September regarding hand hygiene. If a class of 30 have to wash their hands for 20 seconds each time (with only one sink), this will take 10-15 mins each time it needs to be done. This equates to a possible 1hr 15mins a day just to get kids' hands washed and a whopping 6hrs 15mins every week (based on them washing their hands 5 times during the day between sessions)

Does anyone know of a more efficient way of doing this as this seems unworkable and a massive loss of learning time?

2. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Hand sanitiser in large dispensers, queue, squirt and back to work.

josepea, agathamorse and mrajlong like this.
  3. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Sprinkler.

WB, thyr, bombaysapphire and 3 others like this.
  4. mrajlong

Are primary age children allowed to use hand sanitiser that includes alcohol? If so, this would work (as long as we can source enough of the damn stuff - can you imagine how much would be used in a school of about 2000 kids?!)!

5. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

My school has ca. 1.800 (secondary) . You're going to need swimming pools of it !
    Unsure about primary and alcohol.

6. mrajlong

Imagine the cost too. Must be talking thousands for a large school!

agathamorse likes this.
  7. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Established commenter

And all to be met from the school’s existing budget

agathamorse likes this.
  8. mrajlong

I have no doubt about this statement. Cue the government "we have provided x amount to help schools during this crisis" blah, blah, blah!

agathamorse likes this.
  9. gainly

gainly Star commenter

To slightly misquote Matthew's Gospel:

When Williamson saw that he could prevail nothing, but that rather a tumult was made, he took water, and washed his hands before the multitude, saying, I am innocent of the blood of these just persons: see ye to it.

josepea likes this.
  10. MsOnline

MsOnline Occasional commenter

Yes time consuming and also the overuse of paper towels, puddles of water on the class floor and overflowing bins filling up - yuk. I suppose it's to be expected.

When more pupils are back, maybe older pupils can be trusted to wash hands in bathrooms before their lunch? I'd wondered how effective it was to start 15m before lunchtime, get hands washed only to send them to the playground with shared equipment because it wasn't their turn to dine.But they were the rules.

Hand sanitizer can be so harsh for little hands, is the foam as effective? Or what about handwipes? 2 birds with one stone?

11. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

I'm a primary teacher. No idea whether the hand sanitiser we use has alcohol or not but it hasn't hurt the children's hands. It's designed for use in schools and all H&S approved. It is quite time consuming even with small bubbles. It'll take forever with classes of 30.

12. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

No idea who (WHO) advised our leaders - but actual research about how respiratory viruses spread concluded that it was virtually impossible to get infected from handling objects and then touching your eyes/nose/face. But it is of course good hygienic practice to avoid getting gastric infections from human waste / raw meat and prevent cuts/grazes getting sepsis etc.

schoolsout4summer likes this.
  13. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

That advice flies in the face of the advice that has been given by scientists and public health experts consistently since the pandemic started.

Please show what evidence you have for this - otherwise I'll have to assume that it is dangerous trolling and report the post.

josepea likes this.
  14. Mr_Ed

Mr_Ed Established commenter

Our pupils are a) primary aged and b) Muslim. Could 60%+ alcohol hand sanitizer be an issue for that reason?

15. Mr_Ed

Mr_Ed Established commenter

We should be making China chip in for this in my opinion. They can start be returning Hong Kong as they have recently broken past agreements over that place.

agathamorse likes this.
  16. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

For years tv has advertised bleach/ antiseptic/ disinfectant products claiming quite correctly that they kill 99% of all known germs which land on work surfaces etc - but they 'suggest 'that they all need to be killed to avoid people being infected. With regard to respiratory viruses this is simply not true. Research at the CCU proved that respiratory viruses are not transmitted via fomites ( posh word for objects). Recent reports from meat processing plants where dozens of workers were infected due to closed air conditioning systems which re-circulated infected air whilst operatives adhered to rigorous personal hygiene regimes seems to prove the point.

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  17. pair_of_argyles

pair_of_argyles Occasional commenter

but...
    https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpubh.2020.00163/full

The real answer is that this is such a new virus that no one really knows how it is spread

The "wash your hands" advice will do no harm and does, if nothing else, help to draw attention to the fact that people do need to take personal hygiene much more seriously in these times