1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hand-washing cashmere

Discussion in 'Personal' started by polly.glot, Jan 13, 2012.

1. polly.glot

polly.glot New commenter

Can you? Instructions are dryclean only, but I am wondering if a really careful wash by hand wth wool shampoo would do any damage. (it's a big shawl from a well-known cashmere company)

2. polly.glot

polly.glot New commenter

Can you? Instructions are dryclean only, but I am wondering if a really careful wash by hand wth wool shampoo would do any damage. (it's a big shawl from a well-known cashmere company)

3. I'd give it a go but be really careful that the water is only warm. I'd probably try to avoid wringing and stretching too and dry it over one of those laundry racks.
    I wash loads of stuff that says dry clean only by hand and haven't had any disasters (yet!).

4. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Cool water, no rubbing or scrubbing, dry flat. That's what I do on my few cashmere pieces. One cahmere jumper found it's way into a wool wash in the machine and survived, but I wouldn't recommend this as I spent the whole time worrying about how it would come out. [​IMG]
    TBH, I think manufacturers put the dry clean only label on as a precaution against folks who'll machine wash on the wrong programme.

5. beach-babe

beach-babe New commenter

After the first few washes (unless something is really pricey/precious) I just sling my cashmere in the machine on a low temp!

6. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I probably wouldn't risk it, but if you do, give it a cool handwash with some proper wool wash detergent, remember to rinse it gently in warm water, not cold, then squeeze water out of it by rolling it up tightly in a big clean towel a few times.Unroll it and move to a flat drying rack somewhere warmish, but not with direct heat.