1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hand soap vs hand gel...??!!

Discussion in 'Staff, pupil & parent's wellbeing' started by SJRose23, Aug 4, 2020.

?

Are you using soap or gel?

1. Soap

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Gel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Both

14 vote(s)
    87.5%
  1. SJRose23

SJRose23 New commenter

With us having to ensure hand washing is frequent during the school day, we are thinking about the issues of hand soap/gel. Obviously soap is more effective. But, we aren’t blessed with a large Number of sinks. Getting the children to wash their hands with soap and water with a bubble of 15 children during partial opening was taking around 10 to 15 minutes each time. This is obviously going to bleed into curriculum time.

If we were to use soap and water at the beginning of the day, before lunch, and before leaving to go home, and then use hand sanitiser during the in between times, what are people’s thoughts on this?

Would we need to get parental consent?
    If children were to bring in their own hand sanitiser would we have to ensure it had an alcohol content of 60% or above?
    How do you ensure that children are washing their hands correctly with soap and water whilst in the toilets?

It’s all very complicated! Any thoughts or advice welcome, thanks in advance.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Can't give an all embracing answer to the many different questions there, but 2 thoughts

All the advice I've seen recently stresses the handwashing as the first priority, with alcohol based hand sanitiser either as a supplementary after hand washing or for when there is no soap or water available (general advice, not school-specific).

You do not need to get parental consent to making children wash their hands.

agathamorse and harsh-but-fair like this.
  3. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Senior commenter

I suspect many schools will think sanitiser alone will suffice because of logistics. I have already pointed out to one of our Assistant Heads that hand washing is better and time needs to be built in to the timetable to ensure this happens with just two half hour breaks planned. Kids will prioritise eating and drinking otherwise, saying ‘But I’ve used sanitiser’ and we all know soap and warm water is much better.

Rott Weiler likes this.
  4. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Senior commenter

soap kills coronavirus, which is the main thing. BUT- solid soap actually spreads other pathogens, so something to keep in mind

Rott Weiler likes this.
  5. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

It's a difficult one. Like the OP, we were finding it took at least 10 minutes for our bubble of 14 to wash their hands. By the time we broke up, we were hand washing when they arrived in the morning, before lunch and before they went home. If anyone coughed or sneezed, they washed hands. We used hand sanitiser before and after play.
    It's not ideal, but with a limited number of sinks it's the only way we could cope - and it will be even more difficult when we have all 30 back in each bubble.

6. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

We don’t have many sinks. I think KS1 were handwashing, but the rest were using sanitiser except after going to the toilet (when I’d hope they washed their hands). Sanitiser as they arrived then available at every doorway pretty much.
    I would prefer more handwashing to be going on.

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

We had EYFS and KS1 washing hands with soap on arrival, after breaks and before and after lunch. And anytime they played with sand or playdough, or sneezed or coughed, etc.
    But all have sinks in classrooms and were very small classes in the summer.

KS2 used gel because there are no sinks in classrooms and more children were in making queuing for sinks in toilets impractical. I hope they washed hands with soap after toilet use.

I'm expecting the same in September, but just taking far longer.
    Washing hands with 10-15 just turned 3s who can't reach the taps or count to 20 is going to be very different to supervising from a distance half a dozen almost 5 year olds who can manage themselves! But whatever will be will be...:confused:

strawbs and agathamorse like this.
  8. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

I'd agree, but in most schools, they'll have to touch a lot of surfaces between drying their hands and actually starting to eat. Even if you open all the (fire) doors, most children I've known will touch all sorts of things, and eat with their hands. Can they realistically have sinks at dining tables? There is no safe way for us to open schools (and let children eat during the day) that anyone seems to be able to suggest.

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  9. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

I'd be surprised if they did wash their hands properly. The last time I went to a pub, nearly all the men walking out the toilets were doing up their trousers as they walked out the gents (having had to go down 2 flights of stairs to get to the door. We had a table near the Gents' exit door (I know, lovely eh?) so couldn't miss this. Anecdotal evidence suggests it's the same everywhere-and the odd man that did wash his hands had to touch the doors the non-washers had touched.
    OK, I'm in the North, but please don't say that's the reason for our spikes!

agathamorse likes this.
  10. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

:D:D:D:D:D
    LOL my little ones wash their hands, but that's because I can supervise.
    Boys in KS2, yes possibly less likely!

Does covid live in urine and faeces?

11. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Eek - no idea, caterpillar!

@hhh, when we were open before the holidays (with only Y6,1 and R) we did have all the classroom (except Reception) and other fire doors secured open to minimise the touching of door handles. This will be less practical when all children are back and is it safe? Fire doors are there for a purpose - but I'm sure someone will produce a new regulation about them!

12. jellycowfish

jellycowfish Occasional commenter

It certainly lives in faeces - I read an article about recommending closing loo lids before flushing because the virus can be spread in the spray/vapour? of the flush. How many school loos have lids?

13. Catgirl1964

Also, many school loos are now open plan, allowing any contamination to spread.

14. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

This must be the answer to a safe return

upload_2020-8-6_9-24-24.jpeg

15. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Presumably yes or they wouldn't have just started this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-53635692

I'm not clear whether the CV19 in faeces is actually "live" - in the sense that you can catch it from faeces - or whether it just leaves traces that can tell scientists something about CV19 levels in the population in that area.

16. Catgirl1964

The virus does leave detectable traces in faeces. In fact, I believe scientist have tested wastewater samples throughout Europe and found traces as far back as October last year which begs the question, was the virus in existence then?

agathamorse likes this.