1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hand, Food and Mouth Disease (not the cattle disease!)

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by lilypot, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Has anyone had it? I've just been diagnosed with it and it's really annoying/painful!

2. Sorry! The title should say FOOT not food!!

3. There seems to be a lot of this going around the kids at the moment. It sounds very annoying but weirdly, the nhs are printing off leaflets that say the kids can still go to school with it - though its been making them grumpy and miserable etc and all they said to do for it was give them calpol!
    Then some schools are not allowing children to go to their schools if they have it!
    Conflict of information!!!

Hope you feel better and can battle through it :) xxx

4. Thanks for all your replies.
    I've got most of the spots on the palms of my hands/inside fingers and heels, but I've had a couple of mouth ulcers too. THe worst by far as been the sore throat. I've been on a liquid/soup diet for the last couple of days and am starving!
    My head has told me not to go in tomorrow (LO will still go to nursery as she's not got it!) so looks like I get a day off (though I hate the guilt that comes with being off.....).
    THanks once again.

5. I showed my sister (who's a GP) and she diagnosed it straight away. She said that as it was a mild disease they generally let the children go to nursery (and me to work). The sore throat for me was the worse bit. THe spots on the hands (that felt like paper cuts) just felt odd!
    Thankfully fully recovered now!

6. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

My son was sent home from nursery last week with suspected hand, foot and mouth. We took him to the GP and she said it wasn't as he didn't have spots on the soles of his feet or the palms of his hands. But then the next day he did have spots there. He felt a bit poorly i think, a bit irritable and was hardly eating, but apart from that he was his usual self!
    My husband and I both had sore throats just after, so maybe that was our version of it. Our 6 month old seems to have a cold, but then again she's teething.