1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hand blender. Any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by lapinrose, Sep 11, 2011.

1. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

It depends on how much you want to pay. Definitely go for one which unscrews from the holding bit, much easier to keep clean. How much will you use it, but go for the best one you can afford.

2. FrauSue

FrauSue New commenter

I've mentioned it on here before but I really like the Dualit blender pack. One motor which you can add various attachments too - stick blender, beaters, whisk or mini-chopper. I hardly use my big food processor any more! Here it is on Amazon - the reviews aren't very good but I've honestly never had a problem with mine. I use it for pureeing soups, beating eggs and cream, making cake, and blitzing nuts and breadcrumbs.

3. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

4. pagoda

pagoda New commenter

Thank you for the tips - all helpful.
    I admit to not even thinking of Lakeland for electrical gadgets but I will have a look at the website.

5. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Mr Belle (who cannot cook!) bought an expensive moulinex hand blender.
    I (who most definitley can cook) bought a £5 value one from Tesco.
    I've used both and quite honestly can find no difference in performance. Both work well, both do the job.

6. I have an even cheaper one from Sainsbury's, about £3.
    It does soups and houmous perfectly well.

7. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Mr Belle's fancy one does this. My cheapo does not.
    As regards cleaning I NEVER put anything with a sharp blade in the dishwasher. It is known that the action of particles of dishwasher detergent, and even water, constantly hitting a sharp blade will blunt it in time.
    To clean a hand blender I just rinse it in hot soapy water as soon as I've finished with it. Not a problem for either type of blender.

8. Does anyone have a Bamix? A friend has one, claims she can make mayonnaise without having to dribble the oil in, ie, she just puts the egg yolk straight into the oil and just whizzes. I havent watched her do this, and until I do, I can't believe it's true!