1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hammond: there are no unemployed people

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by wyonamason, Nov 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. wyonamason

wyonamason New commenter

minor slip of the tongue
    embarrassing gaffe
    Orwellian
    something more sinister

Take your pick.

If you look at some of the other things he said:

we have created 3.5 million new jobs since 2015
    we're focused on getting them into work

And consider the undisputable facts:

official inflation rates are lies
    the official unemployment rate is also an even bigger lie

And you do some research...

you might come to the conclusion that there is indeed something sinister in the statement. Have the unemployed, in his mind, ceased to be "people?" I have noticed that sometimes when people make such "slips" the veil drops for a split second and you see what they really think...

2. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

I think he believed in what he said if not exactly how he said it - I guess the upshot of his belief is that the unemployed-marginal have no say and consequences. The 'no unemployed' is perhaps readable as the unimportant unemployed. For spread-sheet Phil they're, surprisingly, neither a potential asset nor that dangerous a liability.

3. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

Though - as a front-line politician "there are no unemployed" more likely signifies there is no backwash (negative effect) for the conservatives (we have no).

4. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

There should be.
    Starting with him.

5. wyonamason

wyonamason New commenter

Yes indeed. And there were his recent comments about the disabled and productivity. A certain dislocation from reality and a total failure to emphasise with other people which I am noticing more and more these days.