1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hamlet Lit B AS Level

Discussion in 'English' started by redrose26, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Hi Everyone[​IMG],

Just a quick question for anyone who has taught this text before for the dramatic genres coursework, what scenes do you specifically focus on or what would your recommend for the tragedy question. We have explored tragedy and dramatic genres, read excerpts from the Cambridge Introduction/other critical readings and watched the full version of the play with the text and me stopping and getting the kids to think about A0's.

I have not taught this piece before so any guidance on the best scenes to focus on and do some deep analysis in conjuction with the theme of tragedy. The play is just so big, I think i need to give the weaker students more support and direction.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help.[​IMG]

2. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Random thoughts:
    Is Hamlet a tragic hero? His 'fatal flaw' is usually considered to be indecision - is this true?
    As far as the best focus is concerned, this is going to depend upon the question you choose. AQA seems to particularly impressed by responses which focus on context.