1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hamilton trust plans are too hard!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by nqtworcester, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Looking through the weekly plans for various years (looking at year 1 now and used bits and bobs for year 4 last year) ive consistently found the plans much too hard for what the children in my school are capable of.
    Does anyone know of other sites that provide plans (i dont mind paying) that arent aimed so high?

2. Looking through the weekly plans for various years (looking at year 1 now and used bits and bobs for year 4 last year) ive consistently found the plans much too hard for what the children in my school are capable of.
    Does anyone know of other sites that provide plans (i dont mind paying) that arent aimed so high?

3. No but I find it takes me longer to get my head around plans from hamilton trust and adapt it to suit my children, than it does to just plan it myself!

4. Hope thats not what i end up doing! Yes i know, teachers 15 years ago didnt have the 'luxury' or these databases of plans/lessons/actiities/resources, but why not use it eh!

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

because it is too hard for your class?

6. hb18

hb18 New commenter

Is it the lesson that is challenging for your class or the suggested tasks? We have the opposite problem and have found that Hamilton is brilliant for plugging gaps for the average child but doesn't extend the above average.

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

You hope you don't have to plan your own lessons for your own class? Are you serious?

I plan my own, can't be faffing about adapting someone else's. Yes I know they are there, but as you are finding they are never, ever actually suitable for the class in front of you. Much better planning your own.

8. Msz

I know I'm going to regret asking ...how many people plan their own lesson?
    To be honest it probably explains the threads that have been on TES lately ... who needs teachers when we have Hamiliton?

9. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

I have only ever found sites like Hamilton useful as a starting point, or for ideas. I have never just taken the lesson plan and simply taught that. There's never been one that will work with my class (any class I've had). I agree with whoever it was that just said Hamilton doesn't seem to extend the higher ability.

These sites should be treated like any scheme of work or planning resource that you have in school (e.g. Collins maths or Abacus) - A RESOURCE! It's not gospel and it's a poor teacher indeed who simply follows these word for word.

Sometimes there is something useful in these schemes and on websites and I will take it and change it to make it work with my class. Most of the time it's much simpler and quicker to write my own plan. Especially as our planning documents are for us and don't need to be written out like a script - note form is more than enough. If I've planned the lesson myself, I find it will flow better in the classroom because the plan came from my head anyway and I don't need to keep checking my plan to make sure I'm doing what it says!

10. Oh lord, people arent reading correctly tonight

My 'why not use it eh' refers to the lesson plans that are available online - not the ones that are unsuitable for my class. With so many resources available out there, people would be fools not to use them to their advantage.

I think everybody knows that these plans etc. that are available should not be used immediately without some tweaking.Using the plans for ideas of movement between objectives etc. i find really helpful.
    More often than not i come across activities that i would not have thought of that are more interesting/fun/unique than the activities i had originally planned for - why not use them!

I did not post this topic to receive responses referring to 'bad teachers' and the rest. If you dont have any useful advice or websites (what the post is actually about) then please air your grumps somewhere else!

11. Msz

It seems most of us are fools because we find it easier to plan ourselves than use the ones on line

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Your posts really don't give the impression you want plans to get ideas from. And it isn't me not reading.

My advice would simply be, write your own plans! Then you know they will suit your class. Yes get ideas from the net, but you don't need plans, just resources.

13. Its not so much plans that i was after really, more activity ideas. After moving from year 4 to year 1 im starting from the beginning - it was activities in hamilton trust that i found to be too difficult.
    The plans (as i said before) i find better for medium term - ordering work etc.
    Oviously as it is the beginning of the year anyway, i dont know my class so I cant yet plan for their needs until i understand where they are..

14. Msz, you're telling me that you dont use any resources/ideas from online?
    Considering you're logged into a teaching website forum, i find that hard to believe.

15. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

You seem to have swapped from asking for plans (and saying you don't want to write your own) to talking about resources and being rather rude to some posters.

16. Msz

I'm telling you I don't use anyones planning other than my own believe it or not

17. I have not been rude - i have merely asked a question?
    Someones a bit sensitive...

18. My mistake - i didnt realise that using the word plans (which really, are documents with activity ideas) would cause such a stir.

19. You should be very proud.

20. Msz

OK I write my own planning and activities but I share ideas with other posters and adapt them to suit my class. Even activities I used with my class last year might not be suitable for this year's class.