1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hamilton Trust plans. Any good?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by wolverina, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Any comments/suggestions? Please?!

2. titus4t

titus4t New commenter

they're not a bad place to start. I've done some of the year 5 ones (MIchael Foreman? And a poetry one that looked at Val Bloom? ) and enjoyed them. I think you always end up picking bits you like and bits you don't but they often have some good resources. I really enjoyed the animated texts when I taught Yr2 but don't remember any for the older kids. However I'm keener now on Scholastics Read and Respond which are based on a whole text especially when I can find a text that links to my topic. I also used the Framework Planning for Street Child and was quite impressed.

3. I do like the Hamilton and do use the plans for literacy but do agree that the numeracy can be confusing, I use the one from the Bexley Heath website, it's good and can be changed.
    Hope it helps

4. kb189, I have been using Collins for a lot of activities. However, I would like to look at the Bexley Heath one. I have tried typing in Bexley Heath but keep getting Lgfl which seems to require a password. Can you help?
    thanks.

5. Hi I've used some of the literacy with year 5. There's some good ideas but I find that there's too much to fit into a lesson for the children I teach. I just tend to pick and choose the bits I like and mix in with scholastic 100 literacy lessons and a bit of support for spelling from the standards site. Not used the maths - doesn't look like it's in line with the units when I had a quick look.

6. rumpelteazer

rumpelteazer New commenter

I like the numeracy structure/ sequences and find it more logical than the new framework and base my planning on their structure using lesson ideas that I like and supplementing with other plans and own ideas.

7. I do agree that there's far too much to cover, as with the National Literacy strategy itself! Earlier on this school year we had some "training" with an LEA Literacy "expert." When I questioned the amount of work which seemed to be expected to be covered in year 5 the response was "you can't possibly cover it all, just pick and choose!"

8. no!

9. Hi, here is the link, hopefully will be useful. There aren't any activities as such but gives plenty of things to cover.[​IMG]

http://www.lgfl.net/lgfl/leas/bexley/web/Primary/Maths/Renewed%20framework%20medium%20term%20plans/

I'm not very good at this sort of thing so hopefully you will be able to copy and paste this.

10. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

The literacy aren't bad and give good starting ideas, and the numeracy I actually quite like. Its not in the same order as the strategy but I find some bits really useful. Between you and me, I used one of the maths lessons as an observation, adapated a little for my little angels(!) and came out with an outstanding!
    You have to be careful as there are some parts which are a little dodgy, but on the whole I think that there are some good ideas to work from.

11. tiffster

tiffster New commenter

A word of caution: it might be worth mentioning Hamilton to your headteacher, as some local authorities are very anti. I think there was a time when "Save Our Sundays" amounted to a number of people neglecting to plan at all and just downloading reams of stuff on Sunday night to teach on Monday morning. As a result the Hamilton Trust resources rather lost credibility.
    I quite like the English ones as a starting point. There are some good suggestions for texts, particularly picture books (I've found things I'd never heard of and would definitely use again) and some reasonable basic activity suggestions, too. They need a lot of pruning, though, as they're very wordy and "woolly" in my opinion.

12. I think the Hamilton Plans are great! Yes, there is a lot to fit in and often I have to use the 'Easy' group activity, differentiated, for the whole class (I teach EAL children). However, the maths plans in particular include lots of practical activities and really interesting ways of teaching and practicing mathematical concepts. If you can get hold of the books needed for the Literacy plans, the lessons are really enjoyable and, in my experience, result in really good work from the children. Obviously, like any plan, Hamilton plans should be read carefully and adapted for your particular class where necessary, but I for one am a big fan.