1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ham cooked in cola/coke!? is this nice?!

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by the apprentice, May 16, 2011.

1. the apprentice

the apprentice New commenter

Having some friends over and their children,who we haven't seen for a few years...and l'm doing 'food'!!!There will be 8 of us,4 kids/4adults ...and thought about a bbq but looking at the weather it doesn't seem such a good idea. l thought about a Sunday lunch, but don't really want a formal meal,and not sure their kids are 'Sunday lunch ' fans.
    So my final suggestion....well that was going out for a mc d's!!or pizza hut!
    A friend suggested that l do a few salads...pasta, couscous etc. Nice fresh bread, home made sausage rolls, and a cooked ham....a ham cooked in coke!?
    Has anyone tried this Nigella has a recipe!?? Maybe l should do a lasagna aswell as or instead!!! Not much good at being a 'hostess!!! Cakes and puddings shouldn't be a problem....much more up my street!!!
    Any ideas/suggestions appreciated...thanks

2. I haven't tried the ham in coke but I think your idea of a cooked ham with salads and nice crusty bread etc would be perfect. Don't overcomplicate things. If the weather is nice - ish you could so a potato salad or baked pots if it is still cold.
    Plenty of lovely puddings should see everyone very happy.

3. henriette

henriette New commenter

Yes! It is a winner.
    It sounds odd, but the sugar and the acid in the coke turn the ham really sweet and tender.
    It is one of my first choices when I have to feed another family / a crowd.
    Don't forget that you need to use full sugar coke/cola not "light/diet".
    You can do the boiling as early as tomorrow, then stick it in the fridge. No need to do the glaze Nigella does, just strip the skin off it, score it to make it look pretty and chuck it in a hot oven for 45 minutes to finish it off. Or even, just leave it boiled and cold to accompany your salads!! It's far easier to carve thin slices when it is cold so the meat would go further.

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

It's excellent, but you can use appletize or apple juice, equally good.

5. the apprentice

OOooohh, sounds like a good idea!! Pleased you think it will work,and hadn't thought about it being full fat coke! So many thanks. Bit of a novice when it comes to 'meat' other than mince!!, so if l go to the butchers and ask him his advice for how much l will need to feed ,say 6...will he/she be able to tell me how long to cook the ham. l usually just put the ham in a slow cooker after l have popped it in a pan of boiling water to take the excess salt off. But l'll be able to get a bigger joint as the slow cooker is quite small.

6. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I tried the ham in coca cola a few years ago and have cooked it this way ever since, excellent.
    I hadn't got any coke one day so used apple juice and is good if not better!

7. Echo the others - it was a winner.
    Like the idea of the apple juice too. First time I did it though I used black treacle and cloves - not a good combination. The treacle was way way too sweet, it became [​IMG]

8. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

We're planning a party soon and I was planning to slow cook a piece of brisket and shred it to go in rolls with horseradish creme fraiche. A ham is a good idea to go with that.
    Let us know how it goes!

9. the apprentice

emmhh.. l cooked it in a slow cooker yesterday...full of coke for 5 hours.... and well ...not sure it's a hit. I cut a bit of this afternoon just to have a taste and ...not sure l like the taste...it's just a bit odd. Think l prefer it ordinary..maybe l should have gone the 'whole hog' and roasted it afterwards which l didn't. Will have to see what the friends think...although after a couple of glasses of wine it will probably not matter.!!

10. Can I ask why you used a slow cooker? I just wonder if that made a difference to the taste. I've never thried the coke recipe I always cook my ham in cider (some of the fruit ciders are really nice) surrounded by chopped up bramley apples and brown sugar.

Hope your guests liked it.

11. the apprentice

Not sure why i used a slow cooker...i just usually do...plonk it in and leave it!! l wasn't too keen,think l like just plain ham. The guests didn't seem to notice, and i didn't say anything!!! My son and hubby liked it though. Think i will try the cider and apple thingy...that sounds much better! Thanks

12. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

FIVE hours?? Seems like a very long time!
    I do mine the Nigella way- 2kg gammon, one onion cut in half, two hours on the hob. Then remove the rind, stud with cloves, drizzle treacle and pat with brown sugar and mustard powder before roasting for 10 mins.
    I'm making this on Wednesay. Will post pictures and my friends' reactions.

13. In Feast, Nigella does it in cherry coke. Amazing! Always a winner, and as with normal coke, easy peasy. You do a glaze of cherry jam, paprika and a splish of red wine vinegar. Yum.

14. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

***, I forgot to take pictures!!
    I cooked a 1.4kg gammon yesterday... four friends' dinners and two late-night sandwiches for my drunken Dad and brother, and it was all gone by 1am!
    Deeeeeeelish!

15. I use cider and just put it all in the slow cooker for the whole day on low. It's beautifully tender and the carbonated nature of the cider and the sugar break down the meat, just as coke does. I prefer the cider as coke can have a bit of an odd taste and turn the meat a brown colour, which doesn't look quite as appealing. It's always a hit and tastes beautiful. Just be sure to rest the meat for a while when taking it out of the cooker, as the meat falls apart because it's so tender and needs to firm up a bit before cutting!

16. inky

inky Lead commenter

In the Philippines, spit-rosted pig [yum yum] is often basted with coke. You've never tasted crackling like it!