1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

halving and doubling cards

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by endoftheroad, Nov 4, 2015.

1. endoftheroad

endoftheroad New commenter

I am tutoring a year 9 pupil who cannot half a number if the first digit is odd! I am looking for some advice for equipment or resources to use. Before I retired I used triangular cards with each corner a double or half of the top number but I don't know where to buy these from. Any advice on resources to use would be gratefully received

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

I find pencil & paper indispensable.

3. colinbillett

colinbillett Occasional commenter

I've started to think our contributor is being ironic. Life becomes more simple if I believe this.

4. colinbillett

I have known colleagues who used nothing but a pencil and paper, and in those cases the teacher did all the talking, and the learner did no learning.
    I find a jar of buttons, a box of cubes, a collection of conkers, a set of Cuisenare rods, a box of matches, and a host of other things all invaluable. I carry them on jobs with me in Aldi carrier bag.

5. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Omniscient of you.

6. colinbillett

It seems that this is some sort of conceptual difficulty, and all I can suggest is to get the learner to partition some sets of objects into two groups, in the hope that the learner will see that it is possible. So if a difficult number was say 32, which seems to fit your problem, maybe get the learner to group in tens and units, and see what happens when she or he divides the two groups of ten, and has another group of ten left over. But before that don't be afraid to go back to simple partitions into two sets.