1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Halloween story writing focus- Year 3

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Waterfin, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Hi. Sorry to rain on your parade possibly, but have you checked that you are allowed to cover Halloween? I only ask because I work in a Church school, so it is an instant no-no, but I also work in a County that has the directive for all its schools that they do not focus on Halloween whatever type of school they are.

2. martianpoolwoman

martianpoolwoman New commenter

Hi

To all who wonder about Halloween and how to do it in some schools.

Yesterday we had our book printed. It's a book for KS1 called "Witch Hazel and the Witchy Magnet " by Veronica Martin and Alison Gorton.

Hazel is a GOOD witch, the woodland doctor who tends all the animals when they are sick so this fits in with schools not wanting to "highlight witches". The book is designed so a teacher can get two or three weeks' work off it for literacy, drama and geography with KS1. "Witch Hazel and the Autumn Ball " is soon to follow ( N.B. Autumn Ball not Halloween Ball .) The heroine, Witch Hazel is not disneyfied pretty and the pictures are not garish or twee but muted and quirky.

This may help you. For more information see the Yellow Brick Road Workshops website and go to our Witch Hazel page. The book is available thru us. Hope this helps

V

3. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

My resource www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx appears to have had over 13000 downloads so someone somewhere must be allowing Halloween to be mentioned! It also brings in growth, planning ahead, the seasons etc.