1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Halloween Party! All are welcome!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by emerald52, Oct 12, 2015.

1. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

I'm buying the decorations and thought I'd come as a skeleton. Can you come and can you contribute to the spooky fun?

2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Look folks; the English celebrate Guy Fawkes on 5th November while the Irish celebrate Hallowe'en on 31st October. Ignore the USA and trick or treating. I don't know about Scotland and Wales.

lexus300 likes this.
  3. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Yeah, no problem! I fancy a ethereal type wispy costume. Or a cat! What about sustenance. I'll do something for the blindfold dipping thingy- how about jelly slime? I have some left over blackcurrant cordial stuff, so we could mix it and make sort of cocktails!

emerald52 likes this.
  4. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter

I have plenty of left over silken tofu if anyone wants it? It sounds just like the sort of thing you want on a broomstick?

5. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Hollowed out neeps and guising.
    I'll come as a robot of some kind. It will be entertaining if not scary.

cissy3 likes this.
  6. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

We do guising here. "Trick or Treat" is frowned upon. I'm taking my daughter out for the first time, to various friends houses. She has some John Hegley poems to perform, and a random one about a glow-worm being happy because a light shines out its bum.

cissy3 and bombaysapphire like this.
  7. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

We were never allowed to go guising when I was little - my mother said it was "begging". :-/

8. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Not if you did a turn!
    We always recited something - there was a real competitive edge - and sometimes it was our own poem or story created just for the occasion. And we made the costumes - none of this buying stuff ready made from the supermarket. It took us weeks of planning and sticking and painting and sewing.

cissy3 and coffeekid like this.
  9. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Can we avoid black and orange decorations. Spooky shades of grey and silver would be fine. (I realise I'm in danger of sounding like a certain exposter here but I hate black and orange)

bombaysapphire likes this.
  10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Lanterns and masks?

11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

We did a little with a song and then blinded one another with the bangers we bought and threw.

12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

The orange is because of bloody pumpkin lanterns, we used turnips.

cissy3 likes this.
  13. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

When I was in what was then called 4th year Juniors we were told to bring a kitchen knife and a turnip to school to make a lantern. Can you imagine asking Year 6s to bring a knife to school?

14. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Wow, looks like it's going to be fun! We can have a turnip lantern competition and apple bobbing or 'dookin' fer apples.These were standard in my childhood scots village hall Halloween parties. We did make our own costumes and went out guising doing a song or a poem at each door. Do let your friends know about the party!

15. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Loving the idea of shades of grey and silver. I would love to come. I still need a second chair for my bad leg but I can probably manage a bit of dancing on my crutches now.

Will there be pumpkin soup?

voodoo child likes this.
  16. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I hate what Hallowe'en has become; the tacky, nylon, garish rubbish on sale in supermarket aisles; the disturbance throughout the evening as the dogs are driven demented by the arrivals at the front door etc. Yes this is bah humbug from me but we are being invaded by the pseudo American rubbish by the profit grabbing outfits running us. I admit I don't like fireworks either - from the time my mother was so badly burned by a "rip rap" which tossed out into a crowd of people around a bonfire entered her bootee and continued to explode against her ankle to the years when we had the horses and I was always scared a rocket would land on the stables' roof - not to mention the terror suffered by one of my dogs.
    I am glad there wasn't this focus on it when my girls were young.

17. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I loved Hallowe'en as a child until we had fireworks banned. Then they were allowed in time for my children to enjoy the much improved versions but now a licence is needed.

18. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I come from the midlands (of England!) and we made lanterns from turnips or swede.
    I used to love it. It seemed rather mystical in its way (shades of a pre-christian paganism etc)

But I agree that the commercial side today is too 'Disneyfied'.

But I'm always game for a party, for the booze if nothing else!

ETA From 'wiki'

''
    Mummers Plays (also known as mummering) are seasonal folk plays performed by troupes of actors known as mummers or guisers (or by local names such as rhymers, pace-eggers, soulers, tipteerers, galoshins, guysers, and so on), originally from the British Isles (see wrenboys), but later in other parts of the world. They are sometimes performed in the street but more usually as house-to-house visits and in public houses. Although the term mummers has been used since medieval times, no play scripts or performance details survive from that era, and the term may have been used loosely to describe performers of several different kinds. Mumming may have precedents in German and French carnival customs, with rare but close parallels also in late medieval England (see below).

The earliest evidence of mummers' plays as they are known today (usually involving a magical cure by a quack doctor) is from the mid to late 18th century. Mummering plays should not be confused with the earlier mystery plays.''

I remember Hardy writing about this in 'The Return of the Native'.

19. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

Blimey O'Riley, I remember that being hard work. Pumpkins may be for wimps but they're a lot easier for creative lantern-making.

20. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

And you're a lot less likely to lose a finger tip.
    Ouch.