1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Halloween - A whole school event

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Milgod, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I'm a little upset there hasn't been any Halloween discussion this year.

Surely all schools are celebrating it in some way.

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

It's been discussed on EY[​IMG]

3. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

why??
    Nah. Never worked in a school that made the remotest reference - and my kids go to one that pays no attention either.
    It's all a plot to get children begging and sell more sweets made by global corporations...mutter, mutter...

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Nor me.

The only reference the HT made this year was 'wish it wasn't during term time'. We are a church school and will be ignoring it totally.

5. Msz

All Hallows eve !

6. Milgod

I am upset as last year there was some great discussion to be had.

In response to your 'plot' idea I say this -

BOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRIIIIIINNNNGGGGG

7. Msz

I've got visitors from a school in Romania ... hoping Transalvania [​IMG]

8. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

why? how? for whom?
    it's like Christmas, Easter and Mother's day but without the good taste, adherence to origin and pure spirit.....

9. Milgod

You sound like a right hoot.

10. WB

WB Occasional commenter

Can I ask how you think it should be celebrated?

11. Milgod

I don't care how people celebrate it to be honest. I don't even care if people choose not to.

What I dislike is the snobby attitude many in this country have towards it. If some of them were to allow themselves to, they might actually have some fun with dressing up/trick-or-treating/decorations etc. Unfortunately some think they are above all of that stuff. Probably wine drinking rugby fans.

These are usually the same type that have a go at x-mas for becomming too American/materialistic/fake.

12. We have planned a series of lessons complete with WALTs, WILFs, APP evidence etc on how to burn a witch.
    We will then have lesson observations, add this information to our tracking data, hold pupil progress meetings and take photos of a ducking stool for evidence.
    As long as you can measure it - anything goes... [​IMG]

13. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I hate dressing up, definitely not a career on the stage for me. I dislike all things spooky, because I am a right woos and get scared at the tiniest things. I even avoid the aisles in the supermarkets with the costumes.

I don't think I would enjoy the sort of halloween celebrations that exist. It isn't about being snobby just not liking it at all.

Definitely glad to be in a school that won't have anything to do with it.

14. Milgod

Which all sound like fine reasons for not celebrating it.
    Becktonboy was the snobby type to which I was referring. They act as if they are better than that type of thing.

15. We had a great Maths Week last year - all based around a Halloween theme. ots of adding up Witches' Brew ingredients etc etc. Sadly nothing this year as it falls on our inset day. Might still take in my carved pumpkins for the day after though!

16. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We start our maths week on Monday this year! Would be throttled by HT if we did that though! LOL

Hope you have a risk assessment for that carved pumpkin...it is a food you know. And of course children might copy...

17. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Milgod - I proudly declare you "Best At Starting an Argument in an Empty Room" forumer, 2011.
    Good show.

18. Oh of course Minnie - I risk assess everything, obviously! That reminds me - must start the one I'll need for my next DT lesson, where 29 overexcited children are let loose with small hacksaws (and I'm not joking!)

19. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I teach Reception and we had a fantastic Hallowe'en last year. We had Hallowe'en themed activities all day:
    • counting rhymes about pumpkins and witches
    • number activites using the pumpkin themed number line
    • spooky stories, poems and songs
    • shared writing of a witch's spell
    • phonics based on oral blending to discover what I'd put in my giant cauldron
    • fine motor activites - picking up hallowe'en sequens with small tweezers
    • fine motor activities - picking up plastic minibeasts with big tweezers and putting them in a pot to make a potion
    • digging for bones in the tuff spot, and putting them together to make a skeleton
    • cutting and sticking to make paper pumpkin face collages
    • moving like spiders, witch's cats etc in P.E.
    It was a really exciting day. I'm so disappointed that this year Hallowe'en is on our INSET day, and we have to fit in Maths Week and loads of other stuff into a 4 day week, so I'll have to forget Halloween. [​IMG]

20. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

As to my being
    I would consider responding to that kind of personal attack as, well, beneath me.........