1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Halifax Fraud

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Crystalsecrets, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Crystalsecrets

Crystalsecrets New commenter

For the past few weeks i have been getting automated calls telling me to ring the number 0845 3560024 from the Halifax about suspicious activity on my account. My first instinct was to ignore them, then i googled the number and saw reports of people saying they were a scam so i continued to ignore them.
    This morning i tried to make an online payment and it was declined by the verified by visa site which told me to ring a number which i did. It seems the number was not a scam the Halifax have been trying to contact me as someone has been trying to spend large amounts of money on my card. I have now had my card cancelled and have to wait for a new one. Luckily the bank had not let any of the payments through.
    So my advice is if you receive calls reportedly from your bank don't google the number, instead phone the number on the back of your bank card and check with the bank direct.
    And a well done to the Halifax for spotting the suspicious activity and doing something about it [​IMG]

2. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

I had the same thing a few years back. Unfortunately Halifax security is ****, so change bank. Over a two year period I had my credit card scammed twice and my current account once. Since changing to the Coop about three years ago, who could not be more helpful, it has not happened, despite my since using the internet much more frequently.

3. veni_vidi

veni_vidi New commenter

In 7 years of banking with the Hx i've never had and account or credit card compromised.
    This xmas my sainsburys credit card was fraudulently used, but to be fair to them they contacted me the same day to check and put a stop on the purchases (I'm not sure how they guessed...although the £500 at John Lewis is a bit different from my usual £20 on printer ink, ha ha).

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

I've had my Lloyds account scammed twice, got the money back though.