1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Half term or whole term units of work?

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by lydzjos, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Hi there,
    I was just wondering what worked best for other drama teachers. I find that I vary units of work, however the majority tend to be whole term units (one lesson a week), and I feel that I need to change to half term units in KS3. What about KS4? I find that at times, some units can take longer than a term, to me this sounds too much, but it seems right for the work covered.
    What's your approach?

2. Hi there,
    I was just wondering what worked best for other drama teachers. I find that I vary units of work, however the majority tend to be whole term units (one lesson a week), and I feel that I need to change to half term units in KS3. What about KS4? I find that at times, some units can take longer than a term, to me this sounds too much, but it seems right for the work covered.
    What's your approach?

3. elijahboo1

elijahboo1 New commenter

I only teach KS3 but what I've found is that half termly is nowhere nr enough time for some of the units of work. Well, I've found that when we're studying a play, we've needed the whole term to read, discuss and perform. Some SOW's have been shorter such as An Intro to Drama at the beginning of Yr 7 and Physical Theatre with Yr 8. I think you have to see how a unit of work goes and adjust the time it takes to do as and when. I think it's also that feeling of wanting to cover so many different areas and not having the time (especially when you only see the kids for one hour a week, or two if you're lucky!) I used to do Multi-cultural theatre traditions and a Storytelling unit separately in Yr 7 - now I've encorporated the two together!

4. We currently do half termly units with Year 7 and 8 and a mixture of half termly and termly units with year 9, as they start to focus on more sustained pieces. This has been working so far. Although sometimes it is frustrating to only have 6 lessons on a theme or topic.

5. I do the same - a half term for each unit, but right through years 7 - 9 for me
    I tend to focus on skills, or small ensemble performances - whole play productions are n drama club
    in year 10, I do half a term each on:
    practice unit 2; writing a review and exploring technical stuff: performance of script extract; practice unit 1; performance of devised piece; anaylsis of past exam pieces(we lose a lot of teaching time at the end of the year for exams, activity week, trips etc)
    This works very well for me