1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Half term holiday sports camps

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by Paul_B83, Jun 27, 2012.

  1. Evening all,

    Call me crazy, deluded, off my rocker whatever you want, but today I
    approached our new Head teacher with the possibility of using the school
    grounds during October half term to run a Goalkeeper Coaching Holiday camp, for
    3-4 days during the holidays offering it to pupils from all our local, Middle
    and High Schools linking in with coaching I will be doing for our county
    Goalkeepers. She at first was rather surprised she had a member of staff
    offering his holiday time etc up, but was supportive of the idea and was very
    keen for me to start getting the ball rolling with it.

    My next step is to get answers to questions such as.

    • <li class="MsoNormal" style="margin:0cm 0cm 10pt;color:black;line-height:normal;tab-stops:list 36.0pt;">Cost and payments for the
      course, what is a suitable price to charge per day, (9:30 - 3:30)<font face="Times New Roman" size="3">
      </font><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin:0cm 0cm 10pt;color:black;line-height:normal;tab-stops:list 36.0pt;">Would I be best organising a
      fee (my payment) with school and then getting it paid as
      "overtime" and the money coming into school. Any extra money
      would be used to pay any other support I had, costs of caretaker etc for
      opening up and cleaning up changing rooms etc and then any surpluses would
      go into my PE budget to replace equipment etc. Or do I go down the self
      employed way, declaring extra earnings for taxes etc? But probably have to
      pay towards the hire of school fields etc. <font face="Times New Roman" size="3">
      </font><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin:0cm 0cm 10pt;color:black;line-height:normal;tab-stops:list 36.0pt;">Insurance, would I be covered
      for being a member of staff on school property (schools insurances) or
      will I need my own. <font face="Times New Roman" size="3">
    Qualification wise, I've been teaching for 4 years now and in terms of
    football qualifications I have FA Level 2 outfield and FA Level 1 Goalkeeping
    and looking in the next year or two to gain my Level 2 GK and start building
    for my football retirement and go into coaching specifically with GK's at a non
    league level.

    Any help, Ideas or opinions will be welcomed

    cheers PB83.

  2. gogojonny

    gogojonny New commenter

    Right, let me say this is something I know quite a bit about.
    First off - goalkeeper camp, seriously? Out of 11 outfield players there is only 1 goalkeeper, you'll be lucky to get 10 on the course (if that).
    Secondly - if you are a state school things becoming tricky. Not saying it is not possible, but the money, payment etc becomes very difficult. A state school is free, people object to paying for anything a state school runs, and will want to know exactly where the money is going.
    How are you going to decide your pay? You may think you are worth &pound;15 per hour, someone else may say &pound;10 per hour.
    Best thing to do - form your own company. Set your own pay, gain a contract with the school, declare an interest with the school (as in your school is employing your services in holiday time). Do all the risk assessments and admin yourself, and promote to the school children.

Share This Page