1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Half term decisions...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by emmaohwow, Feb 19, 2020.

1. emmaohwow

emmaohwow New commenter

Happy Half Term! I think? Because all I have done is dream about unruly classes!

Are there any unqualified teachers out there who like me, have just marked around 240 assessment papers? Putting individual question marks on a system. I’ve got planning to do next, which has become the easy part!

Is that my queue to leave? (Shame about the 3 months notice period!!) Lol.

I haven’t even made it to my teacher training. I can’t hack this and the constant being made to feel I have not done enough! I take my hat off to you all. I’m done!!

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

When I taught in the state sector, I used to almost always think that half terms were time to catch up on all the work that had been piling up. Then I did largely nothing in the main holidays.
    A move to independent means I do largely nothing in any holiday.

3. letap

letap Occasional commenter

I qualified over 20 years ago and I don't remember doing anything like what you have just done. It is possibly the sign of the times. It does get easier, however, you have to look logically at the expectation of work and think whether greater experience will significantly reduce workload. You also have to factor in how it affects you in your outside life - yourself personally and the relationships with others - partner,family and friends.
    In short teaching should not take over your life or make it worse.

4. cassiedogrip

cassiedogrip New commenter

OMG. It's been a while since I posted a comment on here, but I just had to do so. I must ask: if you are AN UNQUALIFIED TEACHER, why on earth are you doing what sounds to be a role for a FULLY QUALIFIED TEACHER?
    Don't get me wrong, I am fully aware that many schools use and abuse HLTAs / cover supervisors etc... by putting them in front of whole classes far too often, but what you describe is quite shocking, and all BEFORE you even BEGIN to train? I think that you are making the right decision, because you really have been taken advantage of - I feel sorry for you, however, and wish you all the best for the future - I'm sure that you will do well, in whatever direction you go, not least because you have figured out, albeit the hard way, what a mess the UK ed system is in! Thank goodness I've recently taken early retirement - see Retiring at Christmas 2019 (Retirement section).

5. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

You're an unqualified teacher so at least you haven't had to put yourself through a PCGE or SCITT. You've had a real taste of what a teaching career involves and it's not for you. There is no shame in walking away from a career that turns out to be far removed from those glossy TV teacher adds. Teaching is unlikely to get much better so as it seems you've already decided to leave. Good luck in whatever you decide to do but keep us informed of your next move, we'd love to know. I hope it works out for you.

6. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

A teacher's job is a teacher's job whether you are qualified or not. Being fully qualified doesn't mean you have to do more work than your unqualified colleagues.

Pomza and ATfan like this.
  7. venny414

venny414 New commenter

I think you're right, there is a queue to leave! :)

8. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

Don't hang about. It's a pretty desperate profession. Best to get out now before you give anymore of your life over to it. Good luck, whatever you do will be better than what you are doing now.

jlishman2158, Shedman and agathamorse like this.
  9. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

10. cassiedogrip

cassiedogrip New commenter

I 'think' that you have missed my point here. In my view, if someone is unqualified this means that they are not qualified to do the job - end of!
    I travelled to London just recently by train and I'm pretty sure that the driver will have been fully qualified and, if not, I'm equally certain that he/she will have had a qualified driver at their side in a supervisory role.
    The use/abuse of 'unqualified staff' in schools today is a disgrace, and is only continuing to happen because the majority of the general public are blissfully unaware and/or don't really care, therefore, surely it is up to those of us who are, or have been, in the profession to stand up for what is right, otherwise its reputation as a profession worthy of the name will continue to falter.

11. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

In a rational world this would be the case and I would agree with that 100% but with the creation of academies and other types of school there is no requirement for a person to have QTS to be employed as a teacher. It would appear that you can be a teacher with no teaching qualification whatsoever. I'm glad this principle isn't applied to doctors, pilots, engineers, builders, car mechanics etc.

https://fullfact.org/education/unqualified-teachers/

Unqualified teachers
    4th Apr 2015

• The laws on employing unqualified teachers in English state schools were relaxed in 2012
    • We can't tell what effect that's had on the number of unqualified teachers yet
    • Combined science teachers are the most qualified for their subject, while citizenship and engineering teachers are least likely to hold a relevant qualification.
    As of September 2012, schools wanting to appoint someone on the basis of their special skills and experience no longer need to consider whether or not there's a teacher with qualified status available. Academies were also given freedoms to employ teachers regardless of whether they were qualified.

The government say the reforms give schools the freedom to "appoint the right people to teach their pupils" and provide academies with the freedom to employ professionals who "may be extremely well-qualified and are excellent teachers, but who do not have QTS status". These moves have been criticised by the Labour party for 'harming standards'—pointing to an increase in the number of unqualified teachers.

agathamorse likes this.