1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Half term can't be over already!

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by anon1369, Feb 18, 2012.

1. I cannot believe it's back to school on monday, the week has flew by!
    I have got loads of work to do as I haven't done anything because I have been on a (well deserved!) break away. Come to think of it I am really dreading going back on monday, the feeling normally fades after a couple of days but sadly it never completely goes away.
    I have done a lot of thinking during this half term and I am not sure I want to continue being a teacher, I am pretty sure it is the job I dislike rather than just the school. I really enjoyed my PGCE and thought my NQT year would be even more enjoyable but it's not. I am scrutinised much more than during the PGCE and feel I can't teach in my own way because I am always being told how to do things and get marked down if I don't do specific things.
    I am fed up of ungrateful children who feel they have the right to do what they want and speak to you how they want and even think that they know better than you! What's all that about?
    I'm feeling quite depressed at the prospect of monday coming around. I'm going to stick it out till the summer at least but I am scared that I have to make the 'big' decision by april as my contract is permanant (and I know how lucky I am - it took me over a year to get a job).
    It's a tough decision, do I continue working in a job I hate, commuting 40 miles each way and spending soooo much money on petrol OR do I hand in my notice with the prospect of facing another long period of time unemployed but not having to drag myself out of bed every morning to go to a job I hate?
    The thing is on the outside I look like I am coping and even enjoying my job [​IMG]

2. I cannot believe it's back to school on monday, the week has flew by!
    I have got loads of work to do as I haven't done anything because I have been on a (well deserved!) break away. Come to think of it I am really dreading going back on monday, the feeling normally fades after a couple of days but sadly it never completely goes away.
    I have done a lot of thinking during this half term and I am not sure I want to continue being a teacher, I am pretty sure it is the job I dislike rather than just the school. I really enjoyed my PGCE and thought my NQT year would be even more enjoyable but it's not. I am scrutinised much more than during the PGCE and feel I can't teach in my own way because I am always being told how to do things and get marked down if I don't do specific things.
    I am fed up of ungrateful children who feel they have the right to do what they want and speak to you how they want and even think that they know better than you! What's all that about?
    I'm feeling quite depressed at the prospect of monday coming around. I'm going to stick it out till the summer at least but I am scared that I have to make the 'big' decision by april as my contract is permanant (and I know how lucky I am - it took me over a year to get a job).
    It's a tough decision, do I continue working in a job I hate, commuting 40 miles each way and spending soooo much money on petrol OR do I hand in my notice with the prospect of facing another long period of time unemployed but not having to drag myself out of bed every morning to go to a job I hate?
    The thing is on the outside I look like I am coping and even enjoying my job [​IMG]

3. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Why either/or? Why not find a job that you want, and then resign? You can hand your notice in at the end of May to leave in July, or possibly negotiate a shorter notice period. I know of two examples of this happening, where teachers have negotiated leaving at the end of May or beginning of June when y11 and y13 exam classes are gone. It's not too expensive for school to get someone in on supply for the last few weeks and they don't pay them through the summer holiday.

4. Hi,
    I felt really down yesterday about going back to work - I felt guilty for not doing enough work, and am dreading the first week back which has parents' evening, CA moderation and twlight after School! It's horrible to think about getting back into the routine of work - especially waking up at 6.30 when it's cold!
    Today I feel better though. I have really enjoyed my holidays, and have kept work to the absolute minimum - most of the teachers in my dep don't work during weekends/holidays at all, but till about 6pm after School during the week. I think that time off allows you to put things into perspective, life shouldn't all be about work!!
    I've always said that being miserable in a job is never ever worth it. However, I'm presumming you have bills etc to pay, and without a job...life could be very grim! I'm lucky to be in a nice School with a fairly laid back HoD, so I know you may be in a slightly different working environment... but, I would encourage you NOT to quit until you had a job to go into.
    I understand how you feel about the kids, but tbh I think that's just kids these days! I am a young NQT and often have kids try and question my teaching "why are we doing this?" "can't we do this instead?" etc. I try and focus on the kids who have been bought up well, have good manners and try incredibly hard and are not so arrogant that they think they know better than the professional in the room. Admittedly, there may only be a few per class, but for me, they make it worth it. Don't let the ungrateful ones get to you...
    Why don't you give it a few more weeks.. and re-address how you feel then?

x