1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Half price rice cooker

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lapinrose, May 20, 2011.

1. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

You getting commission for Argos this week [​IMG] lol

3. Im not sure whats wrong with a normal pan?

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Rice is one of the very few things I never get wrong. I just follow Delia's instructions and it turns out fine every time.

5. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Nothing. But a rice cooker can be switched on and just left as it not only cooks the rice perfectly but it also keeps it warm. Pretty useful gadget IMO.

6. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I don't cook rice often enough to make it worth me having one.
    No, I'm not getting commision from Argos, it's just that a company called Day2Day shop sends me daily newsletters and I post things on here that some people mey find useful.

7. karentee

karentee New commenter

Have never mastered the art of cooking rice so bought one of these rice cookers, it was ok for the first couple of times but then it was as bad as cooking it in a pan, now it's gathering dust in the cupboard and we have boil in the bag rice, I wish I had discovered the stuff sooner!

8. Lapin is the cookery expert but rice is easy even for me.
    Thoroughly wash basmati rice in cold water.
    Use double quantity of boiling water to rice. If you cook rice a lot you will be able to do this 'by eye' or measure.
    Simmer with lid on (no peeking) for 10 minutes.
    Turn heat off if you like and leave for a minute or 2 before serving.

9. Asta9

Asta9 New commenter

My husband is Japanese so we bought that rice cooker a few years ago and use it at least two or three times a week. It's excellent for cooking sticky rice and I like being able to leave it, and keep the rice warm. When he lived on his own he used to cook other things in it too, like mashed potato.
    It's one of those things that takes up space though, so no good if you don't use frequently. I currently have a juicer under my bed and a breadmaker in the wardrobe- both inherited from a friend who emigrated but not used yet. Maybe in the summer hols?