1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Half pay over summer

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Torey, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

I would assume so.

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If you might be fit again during the summer holidays, it might be worth establishing, before the summer holiday begins, how you go about notifying them of that so that you can return to full pay.

3. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

If you could be signed fit for work for the last day of term there would be no problem!
    (Likely to result in being signed off again second day back in September)

.......and how many of us have seen this over the years?

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I've seen that happen.... and also been asked to represent people who have effectively falsified medical absence.

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

If the OP did this, however, on resumption of sickness absence her/his recorded absence would resume at the point where it had previously left off - with the result that s/he would quickly go on to half pay. It's no longer possible to return for a few days and then go off sick and get the full sickness pay entitlement.

6. Thanks for all your replies. I'm not looking to cheat the system, so will remain signed off if that is the situation by then. I know that in other sectors your holiday entitlement is protected during long term absence, just didn't know if anything like that existed in teaching.

7. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

Do that and you will find yourself going through the absence monitoring procedure with HR and your union. You need to stay off until you can return. Contact CAB and see if there are any benefits you can claim instead.