1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Half of all teachers in England threaten to quit as morale crashes

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Morninglover, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

2. ElenaMukhina

ElenaMukhina Occasional commenter

No.

More surprised that this is the first mention on TES. There are pages on Mumsnet Staffroom - all we get here is mindless twittering on Personal.

Time to move to the other side.

FolkFan likes this.
  3. stmha

stmha Established commenter

Well perhaps the gov will sit up and stop meddling in things they know nothing about. In 1902 teachers were blamed for our dismal display in the Boer War. They created the Model Course, probably the first national curriculum. It didnt work then and successive governments have meddled ever since.

Leave education to those who deliver education.

JeannieMc and FolkFan like this.
  4. Morninglover

I have reposted on Personal....

5. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Then give your view Elena!

6. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I've just had a look on mumsnet staffroom. Most of the posts on there have been there for quite a while, so I don't think the traffic is particularly speedy.

7. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

I'm unsurprised and I would be even more surprised if I were alone in thinking more seriously about an exit plan.

One of the major problems is that teaching is now firmly established and paid as a graduate starter job rather than the as the vocation it is, especially now that the unnecessary workload has inflated beyond all satire.

Scintillant likes this.
  8. hermitcrabbe

hermitcrabbe Established commenter

Well, I guess I am in the other half. I have not considered leaving teaching - although I have considered whether I want to leave my present post ( sometimes, then I get a reality check about how it is in other schools).

However,I wouldsay my morale is very low. I have got to a point where I just about resent everything .... SMT demanding I teach one to one classes because of timetable clashes leaving odd pupils without a full quota of lessons -and parents complaining ...... being called to account by SMT concentrating only on U grades at A level when I have been given students so weak they could never , ever pass ( I call that set up to fail) mainly because their language skills are poor to non existent often...... meanwhile other HoD's pick and choose students for their exam courses, even to the point where they are not running A level courses because their subject has become so unpopular - yet if that were me, my hours would be cut because I failed to recruit A level students but others just take work from part timers in their dept making those part timers redundant..... seeing other departments with apparently charmed lives , with big budgets being spent of rubbish whilst I struggle, and their HoDs' making a pigs ear of teaching .leaving others to pull them out of the fire, yet they always come up smelling of roses.Whoever heard of A levels and GCSE's in history,. art, physics and chemistry not being taken up by pupils as options? Especially when those subjects are ( with the exception of art ) "facilitating subjects" for RG universities? Yet no one questions them?? ...... more and more after school meetings,more Saturday meetings with demands I attend so " the school looks good" ( and I am part time), ..... being thrown back when I have asked for more hours , with the school employing another part time teacher for work I could do, ..... having no prospects of progression...... members of SMT who throw wobblies....... no pay rises, no additional pay for days done out of contract. I could go on, but what is the point?

The problem is that SMT and parents alike seem to think teachers are still living in a time ( was there ever one?) when teaching was a "vocation" and we did it for love and not for pay.

I have got to the point where I am doing my job , turning up at meetings and letting all the "initiatives" go in one ear and out the other. If you pay me peanuts and treat me like a primate, expect me to be a monkey.

9. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

You make interesting points, @hermitcrabbe, and I recognise many of the things you say from my own working days.

I think that teaching was a genuine vocation, although we have to go back perhaps fifty years. In those days people educated to teacher standard were able to equally or better paid work in other professions for comparable amounts of labour. This isn't the case now. We're paid less and expected to do much more.

FolkFan likes this.
  10. Morninglover

Saturday meetings for a p/t teacher? Unless this is an independent school your HT is taking the p!$$!

JeannieMc and Vince_Ulam like this.
  11. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I think the day is rapidly aporoaching when teachers will be unable physically and mentally, to manage any more workload. Indeed that is the case for many already; signed off by their GPs for work related conditions.

JeannieMc and cissy3 like this.
  12. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I've brought my comments on this over from the "Personal" forum in case FF's string there gets removed. I sincerely hope it doesn't though because if the meaning of the word "personal" is anything then it is the sheer horror of having to face a day, a week, a year, a lifetime!! of the sheer nightmare that is called "teaching in present day UK".

Quoted from "Personnel"
    This is precisely the sort of thing we should be discussing. The lesson for me is to start looking at Education News, so good spot FF.

As per the theme, this is a survey done by Yougov who are an internationally acclaimed polling company, independent of commercial and political interests and with a track record of getting public opinions spot on!

Hopefully the bean counters may start to realise exactly how demoralised, over stretched, and basically messed up, the teaching force is. Their's (the beanies) is the policy of the market place, so when schools can not be staffed with properly qualified, able and enthusiastic teachers, something may be done to correct the situation. However, there will be (there is !) massive damage to the education of children over the next few years as well as the lives of the teachers who try and stay in the profession. I can count personally 10 ex-colleagues out of the 150 or so of whom I would deem to have been close colleagues and friends in my teaching career, who have had complete breakdowns with attendant destruction of their work, their lives and the education of their students.

And that is not to mention the ones who are bubbling along just under the breakdown threshold. Pretty much all of us I would imagine!!!!

JeannieMc, cissy3 and Vince_Ulam like this.
  13. stmha

stmha Established commenter

I dont have a problem with teachers having a heavy workload..we always have and should always have. The issue is whether their time spent improves the quality of life for the children they teach or whether its a cosmetic exercise for governments and academies to mutually pat themselves on the back whilst they cream the profits into soak fund companies owned by the executive boards of academy members.

One CoE, he who shall not be named, claimed £250,000 for HR services provided to his own academy by his own company.

I used to get panic attacks if I lost a receipt for a new set of box files I bought at the beginning of the year. And I still have those box files, about 20 years old and if you shut them carefully they are great.

14. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Hermit - you need to familiarise yourself with School Teachers Pay and Conditions Document 2015. There are statutory regulations in place to protect part-time teachers (page 92) so that they are not treated any differently to full time members of staff, which includes not being required to work at weekends in a LA maintained school. If you work in an academy they may well have made up their own set of terms of conditions of employment, so refer to those too.

15. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Why?

If you removed all of the tasks not directly involved with planning, assessment and actual teaching then the workload would not be too heavy, unless you have particularly poor time management skills. Here is what I consider to be a manageable working day in a primary school:

Arrive school 8.00 am

8.00 - 8.40 am make sure resources for morning lessons are in classroom and create some flip pages for interactive whiteboard for the morning's lessons. Delegate copying etc to TA/LSAs.

8.45 am - 12 noon Take register. Teach planned lessons, mark as much as you can in lesson by giving children immediate verbal feedback. Annotate plans with notes for next lessons etc as necessary.

12 noon - 12.30 pm Lunch break

12.30 pm - 1.00 pm Resource lessons for the afternoon session and create some flip pages for interactive whiteboard.

1.10 pm - 3.20 pm Teach planned lessons - as for morning session

3.30 pm - 4.30 pm After school meetings/phoning parents/look at today's lesson plans and update those for next day. Get resources ready for the next day.

4.30pm - 5.30 pm Mark pupil's work.

7.00 pm - 8.00 pm More marking at home (possibly)

That's still an eleven hour day (including 30 minutes for lunch) but it's more manageable than arriving at 7.30 am, working through lunch and leaving school at 6pm to continue working at home until 10 pm.

What makes a teacher's workload heavy are the constant interruptions by members of SMT/SLT asking for information that they could quite easily get from school management information systems. Time is also wasted by constant regurgitation of and updating of data: we do need to keep pupil tracking records but we shouldn't need to duplicate information just because SLT would like to see it in three different colours and in three different formats. Wading through an overly complicated four-page marking policy, that is amended every year, screws up your day too.

16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

8am start? Slacker!!!

17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I think if teaching was like it was when I started a decade back... teach, mark the books, teach... then I'd be fine. I'd happily carry on till retirement and not be too fussed.

It's all the extra guff that has emerged in the last decade that makes it intolerable as a job.

18. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Is the wrong answer. Absolutely not! Education has become fossilised in many ways through destructive memes. TEachers, though I am sympathetic to the ridiculous stress they needlessly are put under, are heavily infected with these memes. So are most of the population come to that mind you ....

19. hermitcrabbe

yes, this came about as a result of the increased workload of after school meetings and other goings on ( like revision lessons etc.) . Some full time staff felt it was better to have a Saturday meeting than a list of meetings for each night of the week.

However,it has backfired somewhat because the number of evening meetings still increases and now there are three Saturday meetings per term. Whilst the Head has not made these compulsory for p/t staff , it is clear a " register" is being taken and any excuses / non attendance is being noted.( vis possible redundancies and other action). Many staff mutter under their breath but no one has the guts to stand up and say anything ( me included).

20. hermitcrabbe

I once had the audacity to mention this to our esteemed leader. He replied that any member of staff who did not feel they could commit 100% to the school should consider leaving. he damn well knows the rules but he just pushes the envelope as they say in US business slang. Or I think in military terms its called " Mission Creep" when more and more expectations are placed on personnel ( all of course is because we are committed- ask for pay and you are not " committed" ....yes it is bullying, but I am a single parent and I have a family to keep. I need my job). I have seen what happens to those who have complained.