1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Half Decent Schools in Malaysia?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by BananaJoe, Jul 3, 2015.

1. BananaJoe

BananaJoe New commenter

Been making up a list of decent schools in the area. Lots of schools in Singapore. KL seems to be more of an issue. I wrote down two, namely the one way out in the park and next to us. In Penang it's the same, notably up a hill with Chris.

Any thoughts on others? Will have five years experience each (all overseas), with two primary aged kids. Not UK trained (although one of us is from the UK). Currently using the IPC in our present school.

How are the schools in Malacca?

2. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

The schools in Penang do not pay well. Plus the bennies are a bit thin. However, many do save some money if they don't do much. KL schools pay much better and you are in a city. Maybe getting to live on a tropical island is supposed to make up for the low pay.

3. LMRinKL

LMRinKL New commenter

What kind of school are you looking for? If you want British NC (or modified version of same) there are two very established schools and a third which is setting itself up in the same vein (though I don't know about the package they are certainly charging the parents top tier money). If you prefer Aus there is a school for that. For US there are two main contenders and at least one of them offers IB as well. In addition to this there is a whole fleet of mid range schools which offer reasonable packages and then a number that offer considerably less.

What qual do you have? Most schools will look for 2+ years in the UK (or similar) plus a well recognised teaching qual. A shortage subject (say physics) or something that you offer which makes you especially employable will probably circumvent the former (and depending on the need of the subject occasionally the latter)

I assume you are looking for next year as with the exception of one school which is currently advertising recruitment (for the Northern hemisphere holiday schools) is pretty much done.

4. BananaJoe

BananaJoe New commenter

Can I PM you, LMRinKL?

5. LMRinKL

LMRinKL New commenter

Sure no problem.

6. Anon (2018)

Anon (2018) New commenter

BananaJoe, feel free to PM me for info!

7. BananaJoe

BananaJoe New commenter

PMed. Thanks.

8. samwong

samwong New commenter

Hi BananaJoe. We are thinking of teaching in msia too. Your list of decent/indecent schools may help a lot. Can i pm you? Thanks.

9. missb87

missb87 New commenter

Hi,
    I also live in Malaysia as a teacher. There are schools which I would not recommend but there are also a fair few which are good. PM if you want more details.
    Good luck with the job hunt!

10. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

In recent years there has been a major expansion of international education in Johor province, including a clone of one of the major UK public schools. Minutes away from all the amenities of Singapore (The world's best airport, zoo, health care and gin slings) Johor Bahru has a lower cost of living and some excellent restaurants. And (huge generalisation) the people are nicer on the Malaysia side of the causeway.

11. mikemcdonald25

mikemcdonald25 Occasional commenter

Agree with everything the Captain says about JB, I spent a very enjoyable year there some years ago, however, the reason it was only a year was that the owner of the school was a crook who was taking money out of the school to fund his political ambitions. In the end the school closed (although I think he re-opened it for a short while later on). I would be be very wary about some of the schools which have opened up in Malaysia, not just in JB, during this period of, 'major expansion of international education'.

12. missb87

missb87 New commenter

The reason for the major expansion of international schools in Malaysia is that the government changed the laws so that there is no minimum number of international students needed for a school to call itself an international school. So, for example, I am at a school of 200 students. We have 3 who are from overseas (1 of whom is the child of a teacher). All of the rest are Malaysian. Which can present problems in terms of their ability to speak English however they are all really lovely students who, for the most part, are excited to be learning.
    Apparently there are laws about how many of the teachers must be international for it to call itself an international school, however I don't know what percentage that is. At my school well under 50% are international teachers.

13. Mainwaring

[QUOTEI spent a very enjoyable year there some years ago, however, the reason it was only a year was that the owner of the school was a crook who was taking money out of the school to fund his political ambitions.[/QUOTE]

Snap! I lasted 18 months. The slippery son of a tun funded his cushy lifestyle by pocketing the teachers' PAYE contributions then paying off the debt to the income tax people by pocketing the final salaries. I sidestepped this robbery by posting my resignation letter from the airport. In addition to the fat wik controller there was another reptile with a name reminiscent of Jeyes Fluid. The school is long gone, though it still features on ***: time for a cleanout there, methinks.

14. mikemcdonald25

mikemcdonald25 Occasional commenter

Could it have been the son of the Tun Dr Ismail Captain?

15. Mainwaring

The same, and a great credit to a distinguished political dynasty. I believe his revered father's grave has been clocked doing a tun on the KL-JB highway because the occupant is now rotating at more than 6,000 RPM.

16. kate harvey

kate harvey New commenter

Hi
    Looking at possibly teaching in Malaysia. Can anyone give me some advice about general living costs?
    Eg:
    Cost of car/car lease
    Cable/broadband
    Mobile phone
    Nursery fees

Many thanks!

17. mrmcnaney

mrmcnaney New commenter

Hello folks

What would be an acceptable package to look for in Malaysia? I am looking at one international school in Sendayan and the package is around £1800 per month and includes accommodation. This seems low compared to the Middle East but perhaps the cost of living is less.

Any advice on the matter is most welcome

Regards

18. mrmcnaney

mrmcnaney New commenter

The school is run by a group named after the popular Sci-Fi trilogy with Keanu Reeves - The M***IX. It seems very flashy but I am always dubious of things that immediately shine.

19. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

Malaysia is relatively expensive and more so with inflation roaring away. Some of the better schools have paid fx rate linked allowances to retain staff. Anything under 15k RM is too low in my opinion now. Especially as fixed for two years and inflation is double digit now ( not the official lies hummm I mean stats). If young newly qualified maybe down to 12k ok for a first post overseas post. Assuming single of course.

One good thing is beer is so expensive it is good for ones liver!

20. knicknakss

knicknakss New commenter

Hi Nemo...quick question...do you mean 15k gross including housing allowance or 15k take home?