1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Half day rate

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Bethbee100, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Bethbee100

Bethbee100 New commenter

My agency seem to keep reducing my rate. For the last few years I’ve been paid £45 for half a day. The agency now say they can only offer £40. They take approx £4 of this as holiday pay.

As a primary teacher I’m in school for about 3 1/2 hours when it’s half a day. Added to this the half hour drive to get there and back.

I’m an experienced teacher and feel I should be offered more than this. 10 years ago I was being paid £70 for half a days work. How have agencies got away with paying so much less than they did 10 years ago?

What are other experienced teachers being paid for half day bookings?

2. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

RULE of supply for agencies

charge schools as MUCH as you can
    Pay supply as LITTLE as you can

The agencies get away with it because they can always find someone to do the gig.

pepper5, agathamorse and JohnJCazorla like this.
  3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

I managed to swing £120 for a half-day teaching science at a pretty average comp in October. Presumably the agency had rung all the cheapies by the time it got round to me.

tonymars likes this.
  4. steviepal

steviepal Occasional commenter

I'd be telling them to stuff it where the sun don't shine and I'm elsewhere.
    75 to 80 a.m.
    55 to 65 p.m.
    Minimum.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

I won't do half days - with regard to petrol use, they don't make sense financially. Also I find them quite disruptive and would rather not work if I can't do a full day.

6. tonymars

tonymars Established commenter

Sun don't shine.
    If you can afford it.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  7. Bethbee100

Bethbee100 New commenter

Thanks for the replies.

50sman: yes you’re right, if we say no there’ll be someone else who’s happy to do it for a lower rate. I’m sure there are many nqts starting with the agencies every September who’ll be happy to take the lower pay thinking they’re getting a foot in the door with the schools.

I think I’ll tell the agency I can’t go lower than 45 for half a day. I don’t feel like I can make too much of a fuss as I’ve hardly had any work this academic year so have to take what I can.

I just think it’s unfair that experienced supply teachers’ wages only go down while workers in other industries get a pay rise each year.

Also, I’d love to know what the agencies are actually charging the schools for us each day.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. davidmu

davidmu Occasional commenter

Agencies charge anything between £200 and £250 per day as a rough rule and it does vary a little in various locations. As a retired Mathematician willing to help out on occasions I never settled for anything less than £80 per half day ie afternoons or less than £160 for a full day. Frequently I obtained a little more as I made it clear that I was offering a rare service.

donrickles and agathamorse like this.
  9. alsoamum

alsoamum Occasional commenter

I do mornings only supply teaching. I get £74 per morning, out of my £140 daily rate.

When I go to a school which does 8.40-12.30 and 1.30-3.15 it does seem a little unfair but I only do about 3/4 mornings a month. If I worked more frequently I'd ask for more for schools with longer mornings!

I did speak to another agency who split the pay 50:50 over the day. I chose not to sign up and explained why. I think they've since changed their approach.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I first became aware of agency supply teachers in the mid to late Nineties, and then they were getting £90 - 100 per day. Now, nearly a quarter of a century later, people are getting the same, or even less. With inflation, I wonder how much of a reduction in pay this represents.

donrickles and agathamorse like this.
  11. tonymars

tonymars Established commenter

So do I jolly. If any mathematicians out there could help?

12. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Established commenter

Well according to the Bank of England website, goods and services worth £100 in 1997 would cost £183.37 in 2019...

13. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Thus supply pay rates have almost halved! :(

agathamorse likes this.