1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Half day pay

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by modgepodge, Dec 9, 2011.

1. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

I worked a half day at the end of November - it was a last minute call so I didn't check the pay before I accepted it. It's the first half day I've done for this agency.
    My normal daily rate is £80 with this agency. I worked a morning - got there at 9am, and kids went to lunch at 12.45 (late for a Y1 class?!), I stayed until 1.15 marking etc. I assumed, as it was a morning, I'd get at least £40 (my other agency pay £53 for a morning, £42 for the afternoon). However got my payslip today and have only been paid £35. [​IMG]
    This works out at £9.33 per hour (9-12.45). If I work direct through a school I get £17.06!! Assuming they then pay £45 for an afternoon (1.5 hours in this case) that works out as £30 per hour!
    I have obviously emailed my agency but I'm a bit confused. Don't think I'll get a reply til Monday now. Does anyone think it's likely they just pay a standard £35 for a half day, meaning 2 half days work out as less pay than 1 full day, even though mornings are longer than afternoons? Has anyone else experienced this?

2. modgepodge

I worked a half day at the end of November - it was a last minute call so I didn't check the pay before I accepted it. It's the first half day I've done for this agency.
    My normal daily rate is £80 with this agency. I worked a morning - got there at 9am, and kids went to lunch at 12.45 (late for a Y1 class?!), I stayed until 1.15 marking etc. I assumed, as it was a morning, I'd get at least £40 (my other agency pay £53 for a morning, £42 for the afternoon). However got my payslip today and have only been paid £35. [​IMG]
    This works out at £9.33 per hour (9-12.45). If I work direct through a school I get £17.06!! Assuming they then pay £45 for an afternoon (1.5 hours in this case) that works out as £30 per hour!
    I have obviously emailed my agency but I'm a bit confused. Don't think I'll get a reply til Monday now. Does anyone think it's likely they just pay a standard £35 for a half day, meaning 2 half days work out as less pay than 1 full day, even though mornings are longer than afternoons? Has anyone else experienced this?

3. bigpig

bigpig New commenter

Is this what your wage slip says you got paid or what you actually got paid?
    Depending on my agency I can get exactly half a days pay (morning or afternoon, I get the same) or I used to put in the hours worked and got an hourly rate. This has now changed to be 4hours for morning and 2.5 hours for afternoon.

4. I get half my daily rate for both mornings and afternoons too. My daily rate is £105. It's working quite nicely as I work every afternoon on a long term post so it's less work than mornings. I assumed it would be more a 60-45 sort of split and they seemed surprised when I asked.

5. modgepodge

It's what my payslip says - I don't get paid til tomorrow. Can't imagine that a different amount will go in to my bank though?
    Does sound like they may have made a mistake then, as people are generally getting a 50:50 split or more pay for a morning than an afternoon, but not the other way round?
    Thanks.

6. I get paid exactly half my daily rate regardless of whether it's an afternoon (usually 2 hours) or a morning (often 4 hours).

7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Definitely query this. It should either be half the daily rate or more than half. If they won't increase the payment, ask them what the afternoon rate would have been and refuse to take part days from them again.
    The only explanation I can come up with is that they've paid you the Cover Supervisor rate, not their teacher rate.

8. modgepodge

Thanks Jubilee. It was with a Year 1 class, I didn't think CS were really used in primary schools? I was definitely working as a teacher would - I did an input with them, then worked with 2 groups of 6-7 kids whilst the TA worked with the others, in both maths and literacy. I left detailed feedback for the teacher about which kids had understood and which hadn't etc, and left comments in the kids books I marked. I also set harder extension tasks for the kids who were doing well in the maths activity.
    I've emailed them, I'll see what they say.

9. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

It's not the work that you did with the class that matters to the agency.
    I now have to interrogate my consultant every time she calls as she tries to get me to agree to go to schools first and then casually mentions that it's to 'cover classes in KS3 &4).
    Yeras ago that meant being the cover teacher; these days it can also be construed as being a cover supervisor.
    I end up making her clarify the employment basis; if it's CS pay, I decline the work. Sometimes she'll say that the school just want a supervisor so I tell her to contact unqualified people on her books instead. Sometimes, if it's late in the day, she'll ask if I'll go there for teacher rates and she'll ring me back to confirm after speaking to the school.
    I know a TA who works in an Infant/Junior school and has been taking whole classes on her own for over a year. She's doing the work that used to be done by p/t teachers on temporary contracts (PPA cover for permanent staff). She hates having no choice but to do the work, especially as it only gains her about £17 per month extra in take-home pay an d involves a lot of hassle negotiating the on-line claim forms to get the extra pay.

10. modgepodge

Yeah I understand that the agency don't give a s*** what I did with the class. But my point was that it was primary - I can see in a secondary class a CS could be employed to say "Get on with this worksheet/textbook page" for an hour - in a primary school, esp in Y1, this couldn't happen. I've never heard of CS being used in primaries. I suppose they might have paid me as a TA but there was already a TA and a student in the room so the school MUST have wanted an actual teacher, surely??
    My contract with the agency simply says my daily rate is £80 - there was never any discussion at the interview about working as a CS as far as I can remember, and if there was I would have said I wouldn't do it. I have turned down nursery and kids centre work with the agency before on more than one occasion too, stating I will only work in KS1 or 2.
    On the whole they do seem like quite a good agency - run by ex-teachers,quite small. This was the first work I'd done with them so perhaps they just messed it up. I shall wait and see what they said. I did a whole day for them yday too, I shall be livid if I find I've been paid at CS rates or something for that too.