1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Half a screen kindle

Discussion in 'Book club' started by bnm, Dec 15, 2012.

1. bnm

bnm

Mr bnm's kindle is showing half a screen of text, and half a screen of the "screensaver" picture.
    Any ideas of how to get it displaying the screen properly again?

2. bnm

bnm

Mr bnm's kindle is showing half a screen of text, and half a screen of the "screensaver" picture.
    Any ideas of how to get it displaying the screen properly again?

3. I hate to be the barer of bad news but I suspect that is the end of your Kindle. I saw something on a TV program recently about with a lot of disgruntled Kindle owners who were having similar problems around the 12-18 month old mark. It's something to do with electrostatic energy affecting the way the screen works and is irreversible. If it's still within warranty I'd get on to Amazon asap.

4. bnm

bnm

Oh dear.
    It's about 18 months old.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Don't panic!
    First, try a hard re-set - slide and hold the on/off slider while you count up to 25. Oh, first charge your Kindle fully, THEN do the hard re-set.
    Then e-mail Customer Services if that doesn't work. They should have sold you something Fit For Purpose, and giving up after 18 months ain't that! They might sell youanother one at a hefty discount.
    Best of luck!

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, every week in print in the TES magazine, or in person at one of the TES Careers Advice Service seminars or individual consultations

6. bnm

bnm

Thank-you, theo.
    It's on charge now so will try the re-set.

7. bnm

bnm

The re-set didn't work so I phoned up.
    For 50 something pounds they are sending a new one so long as I send the old one back.
    Not very happy.

8. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Oh dear - mine is just 2 years old and has recently begun to do that. Normally if I move the page on it recovers but now I am worried.

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

One of mine is 4 years old, a real museum piece now, and still going strong, so don't get too worried.
    Best wishes

10. My second Kindle went wrong a few weeks ago and I emailed and had a proper conversation. After asking some questions she said that it was a gonner and that she could offer me a discount on a new one. I said I was pretty disappointed as I had not had it long and she immediately upped the discount. I did buy a new one which arrived within two. Still annoying though.

11. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Reasonably good service if out of warranty, but misleading and bad service if inside two years old.

12. 576

576 Established commenter

It was watchdog & I saw the same programme, the bit I found most enlightening was that apparently the Kindle is only designed to last 3 years (so be very grateful for your museum piece Theo)

13. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Kindle number 4 has just bitten the dust in this way. Number 1 was dropped in the bath by my teenage son, 2 & 3 developed the screen fault and were replaced FOC by Amazon. I suppose I should ring up and talk to them about this one as I've only had it about 3 months. To be honest I'm feeling a little disillusioned.

14. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

15. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Just been given Kindle number 5 by my partner. Am currently arranging it in a ziploc bag and surrounding it with extra soft cotton wool balls. I am not actually allowed to use it before I get a case. That is the law apparently. Fingers crossed.

16. vacherin

vacherin New commenter

Happened to me and I got it replaced for free from Amazon- even though it was over a year old!

17. vacherin

vacherin New commenter

Happened to me- amazon replaced it for free even though it was over a year old. Impressed bvy that!