1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Halal meat

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by dozymare1957, Sep 6, 2012.

1. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Does anyone use Halal meat? A friend told me that it's much cheaper than non-Halal meat.
    Any comments?

2. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Well, apparently the majority of meat in France is slaughtered to respect the Halal rites so yes, I use it all the time....

3. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I don't think it's necessarily cheaper - it depends on where you buy it from. Most supermarkets in areas where there is a Muslim community stock it and it's priced much the same as non-Halal meat in such places.
    I buy mutton from a local Halal butcher as it's pretty much the only place I can buy mutton locally.
    I don't have a problem with Halal slaughter methods but, like non-Halal meat, the welfare of the animal pre-slaughter can vary greatly, depending on the farm.
    It's so much of a concern when buying lamb or mutton as most sheep are free-range in Britain (because they're hardy creatures and can live on mountainsides that would be of no use for any other type of farming).

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

When we lived in Germany lamb was not available other than at the Naafi or a Halal butcher.
    But I have eaten Halal meat in Muslim countries. I first qualified, I was teaching H.E. in London and we had to provide Kosher meat for the Jewish students, that was about twice the price of non-kosher meat.

5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

My main concern over eating Halal meat would be whether is was free range or not. I've googled, out of interest, and there are Halal butchers offering free-range or organic meat. Predictably, there are mainly in London or thereabouts, but there are some who do mail-order. I imagine these would be quite pricey, like most mail-order meat.

6. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I have serious reservations about eating Halal meat.
    It is not the religious aspect so much...Halal meat has been prayed over/blessed....but I offer thanks/blessing over my own food so it doesn't bother me!
    But from the time I lived in Sunderland, I remember a goat being slaughtered in the town centre (years and years ago!) It was not humane! Talking to Moslem friends who know these things, they have told me that there is no guarantee that Halal meat is not inhumaely slaughtered. It is not stunned before being killed. The death is usually, but by no means always quick.
    I would point out that I do my best to choose only humanely slaughtered meat. If I have doubts I would rather eat a veggie meal!
    There is a certain, for want of a better word, 'cruelty' in all animal slaughter, but I remain unconvinced that Halal is as humane as 'non'Halal,.

7. Yup - the lamb I buy is halal, as you can't get it otherwise (and the Naafi is gone).
    Nearly all supermarkets here sell halal meat - I am not sure that it is cheaper, though (as I don't buy it - only the lamb from the halal butcher!)

8. I don't have a problem with Halal slaughter methods but, like non-Halal meat, the welfare of the animal pre-slaughter can vary greatly, depending on the farm.[​IMG]