1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hairspray - School play?

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by Harrey, May 30, 2009.

1. Hi everyone,
    I've had a alook around the site and can't seem to find the information that I'm looking for. Does anyone know how much Josef Weinberger charges to put on a non-profit edition of Hairspray in a primary school? I am going to email them, but am concerned about how long it might take to get a response and their site is currently under construction.
    I also heard mention of a play called Back to the 80s. Would this be appropriate for Primary children? Again, the rights are owned by Josef Weinberger and I just wanted to check before I sent off the email.
    Thanks

2. Hi everyone,
    I've had a alook around the site and can't seem to find the information that I'm looking for. Does anyone know how much Josef Weinberger charges to put on a non-profit edition of Hairspray in a primary school? I am going to email them, but am concerned about how long it might take to get a response and their site is currently under construction.
    I also heard mention of a play called Back to the 80s. Would this be appropriate for Primary children? Again, the rights are owned by Josef Weinberger and I just wanted to check before I sent off the email.
    Thanks

3. I don't know the answer, but the fact it is "not for profit" will not make the slightest difference to the price they charge.

I wish you better luck tham the request I sent off about performing Our Day Out. Sent 10 weeks ago - no response.

4. Hairspray is around 90 quid a night for the performance plus the obligatory £245 for the scripts and piano book. Orchestral scores take it up another couple of hundred. If you want to rehearse with scripts and orchestral parts for a term (9/10 weeks) it will come to around £800 for the whole thing. It is not too bad if you can pull the whole thing together in a month but all of the extra time you would need to hire everything takes the price sky high.
    If you email Weinburger thay are usually very quick to replay and are usually quite helpful.

5. corblimeyguvnor

corblimeyguvnor New commenter

Have a look at the Broadway Jnr Series. No Hairspray, but there is Annie, Fiddler, Guys and Dolls and a few others - they provide fully orchestrated backing tracks/music for you to use. :)

6. Hi

I'm doing Hairspray at the moment. You can buy, from Weinberger (at a truly astronomical cost - £250 I think) a computer programme that has all the music and sound effects you will need. It's good, and you can edit the tracks so that you can programme any cuts you make etc.

Hope that helps!